Aiptasia everywhere!

awodzenski

Reaction score
About 6 months ago I had an out break off aiptasia but it's been pretty tame. I have been using aiptasiax but it's not cutting it any more. They are in my coal and small cracks in the back that I can't get to.

I'm trying to figure out what the best way to handle it.

Any ideas?

People will say peppermint shrimp but they’re hit or miss, same with a copperbanded butterfly fish. Some will recommend chemicals and they work but you have to be on top of things with them. Nudibranchs are the only try predator of aptasia and will eventually eat all of them but it’ll take a bit of time.

I've got a similar issue where I have about 10+ that I have seen at least and I picked up a couple of peppermint shrimp. it seems they went for the "babies" but the larger ones they don't go near. I plan on using aiptasiax on the larger ones and if they spread hope that the shrimp take them out. if this doesn't work my next attempt will be a laser.

I have had good luck with peppermint shrimp but yes berghia nudibranchs are sure things for the most part. Tho you might want to research any fish you have to make sure they wont eat the nudibranchs

I'd go for peppermint shrimp from Reef Shac. Chris told me when they get them in they put them in tanks to find out the ones that eat aptasia and don't.

Reporting back aptasiaX worked. No visible return after application or babies popping up either. I’ll follow back up in another week.

The carribean peppermints will eat aptasia. The Pacific ones are less likely to do so. Try to figure out where they are sourced from if you go that route. For me I have copperband butterflies in each of my three major tanks that eat like pigs and eat all the aptasia. I got mine from southern aquatics. The downside with them is that some will develop a taste for certain lps. So far mine are all good citizens but that's hit or miss.

Back