Aiptasia in my fuge

fishtank

Market
Reaction score
So checking out the new Biocube I picked up and here is a decent sized Aiptasia in the small fuge compartment. can I clamp it and cut it out? Do they produce any toxins etc?

What is it growing on? If it's something you can remove, like a rock, take it out. Then you can nuke it and remove all the remaining tissue.

Leaving it there, it can and will reproduce.

You can always put a Peppermint Shrimp in the refugium and it will take care of it too.

Where there's smoke, there's fire. Leave it there and you'll have many more sooner or later, and they will likely spread to the display.

Jenn

Noob here...

Why are they so bad? Why do you want to get rid of them other than they are prolific in their expansion..?

100%hydrophylic;972940 wrote: Aiptasia in my tanks dont really spread. Ive had 6 or so on my rocks for about 6 years now, and they never spread, but most people remove them because they are known to spread.

They sting corals and irritate them. they can kill corals over time

Gotcha. Not trying to be a thread jacker. Sorry. Just curious. I see medications all over the place to get rid of it. No clue what it is, so I google image'd it and learned it was an anemone. So I figured it was worth asking.

I would kill it asap! I had a bunch in my sump and thought, "whatever. I'll get to it eventually." Within a couple weeks I had a full blown infestation in the dt. Bad news

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey man did u find this in MY TANK? If so i never saw it ever probably bc im in a wheelchair and anf obviously am not tall enough to see back there but im glad its only one so sry man i wouldve handled that if i knew it was in there! Im very honest and nice im so sorry lmk if u need anything to help with that ill pay for it!

brad;973133 wrote: IF you dont want to go out and spend money on medicine use a straw or piece of tubing and position it right over the nem. take a pinch of aquarium salt and drop it down the tube to snipe it. I did this in my tank a few years back and it wiped them all out. As soon as the salt hits it, it usually shrivels up.

Trying this tonight..

Cshack5405;973130 wrote: Hey man did u find this in MY TANK? If so i never saw it ever probably bc im in a wheelchair and anf obviously am not tall enough to see back there but im glad its only one so sry man i wouldve handled that if i knew it was in there! Im very honest and nice im so sorry lmk if u need anything to help with that ill pay for it!

Hey man no problem at all, im not upset by it at all. I had them in my main 60g that came in on live rock and got a couple of peppermints to take care of it. I think I will just go get another one. Once he is done I can just put in in the display area.

No probs on the cost either, their only 6 bucks but I appreciate your offer! Your a good down to earth nice reefer!

fishtank;973191 wrote: Hey man no problem at all, im not upset by it at all. I had them in my main 60g that came in on live rock and got a couple of peppermints to take care of it. I think I will just go get another one. Once he is done I can just put in in the display area.

No probs on the cost either, their only 6 bucks but I appreciate your offer! Your a good down to earth nice reefer!

Thx man and its the least i could do our word is all we have here so mine is very important that im honest and nice! Im glad u like the tank i loved it! Im sure it looks awesome where u put it! Lmk if ya ever need help with it. I had it a long time so i know the ins and outs of the tank now!

I tried the salt last night. It shriveled up instantly and was completely out of site this morning. By this evening it started to open just a little bit..gonna try a 2nd dose and see if that knocks it on off

Back