Aiptasia in zoas

wantsummora acropora

Supporting
Reaction score
I discovered a tiny aiptasia in a zoa colony that's in my QT. I shrunk it to see where the base was attached and the zoa's really inflated closing up the space. I'm not sure what to do next. Anyone successfully tackle this problem without damaging the zoas?

IYO, would that be preferable to F Aiptasia or X Aiptasia
I tried aiptasia x many times and from my experience, it goes from dealing with 1 to hundreds. I even isolated one and covered its entire mouth cause several people said I was doing it incorrect. It exploded and melted away… at least I thought. Two days later and its growing back.

Yeah, X has gotten a bad rep. Perhaps the only good thing about aiptasia x are the syringe and two needles and I've also heard that f aiptasia will kill any zoa it touches. I guess I'll head to an LFS tomorrow for some kalk. Thanks for your input.

Good morning. I was wondering if I could/should just cut off the zoa head that the aiptasia is on? If F Aiptasia will kill the coral it touches maybe just cutting the one head is a better option(?). If that is a viable option would you recommend an iodine dip afterwards? Thanks again.

Good morning. I was wondering if I could/should just cut off the zoa head that the aiptasia is on? If F Aiptasia will kill the coral it touches maybe just cutting the one head is a better option(?). If that is a viable option would you recommend an iodine dip afterwards? Thanks again.
aiptasia is unlikely attached to the zoa. its base is more likely attached to the plug or the rock where the zoa is. if you just cut off the head of the aiptasia, the base will just grow back. kalk paste will kill it if you smear it on it.

what kind of zoa is it? if you want, cut a few heads of zoas that is not near the aiptasia and put it on a new frag disc and trash the rest. you'll spend a lot more money on trying to control aiptasia down the road than most zoas are worth.

Get in the habit of cutting everything you buy off the plug it came on, do your dipping then reattach it to a new plug before putting it in QT. Save the old plugs and sterilize them for future use.

Cutting the zoa head is what I was talking about but your suggestion makes more sense. I don't know what zoa it is, neither did the LFS. I'll try the Kalk paste and put it back in QT. If they come back then I'll try fragging the zoas.

No need to go to a LFS. Go to any grocery store and get Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime. Exact same thing for a fraction of the price.

I dont know bro it looks like its cheaper to buy kalk

I dont know bro it looks like its cheaper to buy kalk

That kroger link is only for a pic, in the store I got a 1# bag for under $3. I think ordering online is going to be more expensive. That or they caught onto reefers buying it to dose their tank so they jacked up their prices.

If it’s in QT and easy enough to get out, my go to is always to just squirt a dab of gel super glue directly on top of it.

Get in the habit of cutting everything you buy off the plug it came on, do your dipping then reattach it to a new plug before putting it in QT. Save the old plugs and sterilize them for future use.
For sure in the future but these zoas/aiptasia came on some live rock. It's been in my QT from the start.

Back