Aiptasia

joeyprice

Reaction score
I found an Aiptasia on one of my frag plugs. I pulled the frag, out, what would be the best way to kill it?

In all seriousness, how attached is the coral to the plug? I might consider tossing it and rehoming the coral to be safe.

Its hard to tell, it almost looks like it attached to the coral itself. Its a toadstool leather and its either right at the base of the frag on the plug, or on the stalk of the coral itself.

Remove the frag from the plug and attach it to a new plug. Should be part a general practice for all frags that can be removed.

For zoas submerge the plug in peroxide just up to the edges of the zoas and soak for several minutes. Then rinse and into QT.

You can hit it with AptasiaX and clean it right up. I wouldn't pitch the frag. Aptasia are so common and if you stay on top of them, not a big issue to deal with. The key it killing them when they pop up. How big is your tank? I know they can really be an issue in big tanks because you just can't get to all of them but for my 2 main systems, I can get anywhere I need to in order to kill aptasia. Unless you're going to invest the time & money into a very rigorous coral QT, you're going to get aptasia once in a while.

Its a 4x2 tank. I know if you see one, there are others you don't, but to date this is the only one I've seen. I'm not well versed in clipping/fragging, so an attempt to do that would most likely result in me killing the coral. My QT isn't ready to go yet, the poor Toady is just sitting in a bowl of tank water. Its not looking very good to start with, one of the CUC knocked it over and it sat base up for a good 36 hours.

Should I run out and buy some Aiptasiax and put it back in the tank?
my personal experience and everyone's experience varies, but I could not kill aiptasia with aiptasia x. It would explode and looks like it is completely gone. 2 days later its growing right back up in multiple spots around it. Again, that is my luck.

I would suggest what Adam suggested with removing it off the frag plug. I hated looking at aiptasia in my system, one of my incentives to reboot all over. It spreads like wildfire.

I have an old bio-cube I was going to use as a QT tank, its got rock and sand in it at the moment, but that will obviously come out when I clean it up for the converson to QT. I'll drop it in there for the time being and try to clip it and put it on a new plug after some youtube.

Thanks everybody.

I had luck with a syringe I use to squirt hydrogen peroxide directly into its mouth while it's open. Shriveled up and didn't come back. Came in on a frag I picked up.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

At this point, you could even scrape it off with a toothbrush and rinse it well. Even if it's on the base of the toadstool, you can get pretty aggressive without damaging it.

If I were in your position I would get a toothbrush, scrape (brush) it off, rinse once or twice with tank water and put it back in the tank. Absolute worst case scenario here is that you've got an aptasia in your system. Or you could pitch the frag and come to my house, I've got a giant toadstool leather that needs to be trimmed back.

To those of you suggesting peroxide, both as a dip and injection, just straight 3% out of the bottle, or you dilute it first?

Back