Algae barn coralline bottles

Jdadams

Market
Reaction score
Has anyone every used the product or anything similar? Trying to get some coralline going in my tank. I’m also open to scrapings if anyone has any.

Id highly recommend avoiding algae barn. Ive given them numerous opportunities and i always regret; overpriced, poor quality, and questionable company integrity. I would happily have paid hundreds to thousands of dollars to go back in time and throw their products in the trash instead of my reefs. Im happy to dive into specific details at your request. The only good thing i have to say about them is brilliant marketing.

we have hundreds of people here at ARC who will give you scrapings for free! Myself included. Honestly, its a great community. What area of Atlanta are you in? If youre near Dunwoody, stop on by anytime.

I just don't see the sense in paying for a coraline product, when all that is required is introduction of a small amount from any source, be it a snail shell or scrapings. Happy to supply some if you're in my area.

Id highly recommend avoiding algae barn. Ive given them numerous opportunities and i always regret; overpriced, poor quality, and questionable company integrity. I would happily have paid hundreds to thousands of dollars to go back in time and throw their products in the trash instead of my reefs. Im happy to dive into specific details at your request. The only good thing i have to say about them is brilliant marketing.

we have hundreds of people here at ARC who will give you scrapings for free! Myself included. Honestly, its a great community. What area of Atlanta are you in? If youre near Dunwoody, stop on by anytime.
Thanks for the heads up! I’ve never bought anything from them but always see an ad for their stuff. I’m up in habersham in north east ga. But I go down to Duluth about once a month

I just don't see the sense in paying for a coraline product, when all that is required is introduction of a small amount from any source, be it a snail shell or scrapings. Happy to supply some if your in my area.
I’ve always been skeptical about products like this. But figured I would see if anyone has used it with any luck. Out of all my snails, crabs and frags it seems I haven’t been lucky enough to get some in the tank

I have used it in the past with good results but its much cheaper to get scrapings etc.. from someone local. I always have empty shells with coralline on em. You are welcome to a couple if you dont mind picking up in Lawrenceville

I used Kent Marine’s “Purple Tech” whenever I first wanted coralline and it helped to grow it extremely fast. I only ended up using half the bottle, so I gave the rest to a buddy of mine in Indiana and it also made his coralline take off.

I just don't see the sense in paying for a coraline product, when all that is required is introduction of a small amount from any source, be it a snail shell or scrapings. Happy to supply some if you're in my area.

I have used it in the past with good results but its much cheaper to get scrapings etc.. from someone local. I always have empty shells with coralline on em. You are welcome to a couple if you dont mind picking up in Lawrenceville
Thanks for the offers. If nobody closer chimes in with some available by Friday I’ll shoot y’all a pm to see about getting some on Saturday since I should be going to Atlanta aquarium to grab some stuff around 1

Fastest and easy would be get a piece of rock from a stable tank you trust. A small piece would fill up a tank exponentially in a very short time. The attach piece was only in the tank for 12 ish days I guess from dead BRS shelf
image.jpg
image.jpg

Fastest and easy would be get a piece of rock from a stable tank you trust. A small piece would fill up a tank exponentially in a very short time. The attach piece was only in the tank for 12 ish days I guess from dead BRS shelf
View attachment 42588
View attachment 42587
From bone white to that in 12 days? I apparently fail at reefing...

View attachment 42590

This guy was from Nemo 2 weeks ago I think . It grows fast
Just don't keep your hand in the water too long.

Sorry for the hijack, that's some solid coralline growth though. I do agree with seeding it with real rock/coralline, the night I was pricing out bottled coralline and pods is the night I said screw it and ordered gulf rock.

but the chaeto is clean man

It is not. They admit it is not. It is just a name in order to sell more product.

Their chaeto has been confirmed multiple times to have cyano, bubble algae, hair algae, turf algae, and other nasties.
Seriously? Wtf. I was being sarcastic when I said that but mainly just because of price. Paying that kind of money for something that is thrown away by the pound is crazy, but if truly pest free then I could almost wrap my head around it.

Seriously? Wtf. I was being sarcastic when I said that but mainly just because of price. Paying that kind of money for something that is thrown away by the pound is crazy, but if truly pest free then I could almost wrap my head around it.
Yup. One of the reasons i highly disrecommend the company. Also, their chaeto was the most unhealthy chaeto ive ever seen; both stringy and choppy... as well as tiny.

That said, they market very well! After all, they succesfully convinced many that their chaeto is free of pests by simply calling their product "clean chaeto". Great idea from a business perspective! Massively increasing sales at no cost.

Also - coralline algae will come, whether you like it or not. An encrusted snail shell from another tank will get you started fine. With my tank going on 6 years now, I put coralline growth in the category of "it takes time, don't sweat it". The old adage: nothing good happens fast in a reef tank!

It is not. They admit it is not. It is just a name in order to sell more product.

Their chaeto has been confirmed multiple times to have cyano, bubble algae, hair algae, turf algae, and other nasties.
That’s awful. Especially because their prices are so high. If I sold the chaeto that I throw away for what they do I’d have a much nicer tank 😂

Back