algae ID help

spike

Sponsor
Reaction score
I took the best pictures I am capable of, one is of a piece of the algae on my kitchen table. The fans are tied together by a vine y root. The fans are short, close to an inch. It is taking over a rock. I guess I am concerned about the aggressiveness of the algae, and whether it is good to have in my tank or not? I seem to believe it is some sort of Caulerpa. The same rock has a type of hair algae on it also, but is not the same a what I have fought in the past. It is extremely course and pulling it from the rock is like pulling hair from your scalp. Nothing seems to want to eat it. Any help would be appreciated.

That does appear to be feather caulerpa, although I would want a second confirmation on it. Do you have a refugium? I would put it in there with the rock, if it is not an important/huge rock. I have an Aqua Clear 70 that I modded into a fuge with chaeto(sp?), feather caulerpa, and some red grassiera. Some times a strand or two get into the the tank and I just tug on it to remove. If it is really attached it probably should not be pulled out in the tank, as it can release "toxins" of some sort. I read in Reef Invertebrates that it should be removed in whole pieces, not pruned, as it will just die if cut or pruned.

ReeferJW;87505 wrote: That does appear to be feather caulerpa, although I would want a second confirmation on it. Do you have a refugium? I would put it in there with the rock, if it is not an important/huge rock. I have an Aqua Clear 70 that I modded into a fuge with chaeto(sp?), feather caulerpa, and some red grassiera. Some times a strand or two get into the the tank and I just tug on it to remove. If it is really attached it probably should not be pulled out in the tank, as it can release "toxins" of some sort. I read in Reef Invertebrates that it should be removed in whole pieces, not pruned, as it will just die if cut or pruned.

I do have a refugium, the rock is a good sized piece, but would fit. The rock also has plenty of xenia colonies. I think a trip to the fuge might not be a bad idea.

It's either Caulerpa mexicana or Caulerpa taxifolia, like AJ said. If it's mexicana, cool. If it's taxifolia, be VERY careful who you give it to and how you destroy it. Taxifolia has done significant damage in the wild. I know we're not too close to the ocean, but the threat it poses is too real, especially if you trade it.

Danny, is mexicana the common feather caulerpa that most of us are familiar with? Not up to speed on my scientific names yet.

I believe it is. Here's a good reference

a>

I read it could stunt my coral growth. Should I pull the rock and throw in trash? Negatives seem to outweigh the positives.

I haven't read that myself. I know it can 'sting' your coral if it has contact with it. The only way I can imagine it stunting for your coral growth is that caulurpa does consume calcium and that plants can also yellow the water. If you maintain your calcium, that solves that one. The other half is solved by running high quality carbon, purigen, or O3.

Some algea release a toxin that does in fact stunt the growth of sps, I just don't remember were I read it, but it was a reliable source.

Death to all caulurpa. Ask Dough, a little turns into a problem very fast and can take over your tank. It can be toxic to corals and other Macro Algae, it is banned in many states because of the dangers of people releasing it into the wild either by trying to get rid of it or even just water changes that have spores in it, it can turn sexual VERY FAST and if does will make your tank a jungle very fast. Death to all caulurpa!!!

It does grow like a weed, but I believe most tangs will keep it in check. It is nasty stuff if it gets out of control and its reproduction rate is astonishing as it milks up the water and pretty much lands everywhere in the tank. It is a pretty though.

<span style="font-family: Verdana;">Ok, now you got me all confused and concerned. I found this web site - http://www.usc.edu/org/seagrant/caulerpa/index.html"><span style="color: #606420;">http://www.usc.edu/org/seagrant/caulerpa/index.html</span></a> - that talks about different types of Caulerpa and the risks to the environment.</span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">This page - [IMG]http://www.usc.edu/org/seagrant/caulerpa/SpeciesKey/feather.html"><span style="color: #606420;">http://www.usc.edu/org/seagrant/caulerpa/SpeciesKey/feather.html</span></a> - specifically shows the different types of feather Caulerpa. I also have some in my sump and it definitely resembles the taxifolia kind&#8230;</span>
<span style="font-family: Verdana;">I think I will take Brandon&#8217;s advice and kill it rather then wonder which one it is&#8230;</span>

I have some funky growth also that I need help ID'ing. Not the best pic but it is soft and white like poly-fill. Wanted to know if it is bad and needing to be removed?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
88246=5561-IMG_349200.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
88246=5561-IMG_349200.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="IMG_349200.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Back