Algae ID/Solution?

texhorns98

Market
Reaction score
Since my tang died a month or so ago, I've seen an outbreak of this algae. I've seen it before, but this time it's taking over quickly. All tank params are within acceptable ranges with the exception of phosphates because I don't trust any tests available. Is this bryopsis (sp)? Straight up hair algae? Turf algae? I have plenty of turbos, a red spot blenny who only wants to pick at the easy stuff on the overflow. I just don't know what to do.

IMG_1768.jpg
alt="" /></a>

IMG_1773.jpg
alt="" /></a>
It's ONLY on the rocks...weird.

And there's a different type of algae on these two frags. This stuff looks more like little feathers or palm fronds.

IMG_1770.jpg
alt="" /></a>
I've picked it off only to have it come right back.

IMG_1771.jpg
alt="" /></a>
Should I worry about this frag being taken over completely? I can clip the affected part of it off pretty easily if need be.

Lastly, anyone know what's up with my ricordia? It's been like this on and off for a couple months. My buddy has one thriving under the same light fixture I have and his isn't in any shade either.

IMG_1772.jpg
alt="" /></a>

Bueller...Bueller...

I am planning on pulling some of this rock out on Friday in preparation for the tank move. Should I scrub it down with a toothbrush in some tank water? Won't I risj the other life on the rock then?

3rd definitely looks like bryopsis....the 1st could possibly be Maiden's Hair??? Not too sure, kinda hard to tell with small pics. With bryopsis, you can dose Mg to some higher levels 1500-1800 to help rid of it. Use magnesium sulfate (epson salt) or BRS possibly some local sponsors too. Talk with Chris (mojo) about his fight he had with it. I know there was a thread he made too...might want to search threads started by him.

I went back and read that thread from mojo. From what I can tell, there was no formula laid out as to how much to dose per gallon each day. Says 2 gallons for his 800 gallon system. I have 150 in my system. I also noticed you used the epsom salts to cure yours. Can you offer a dosage rate? For now, I only have that stuff on these two frags. The other algae is what is starting to take over. I can't believe my blenny won't touch it!

Most fish wont touch bryopsis. Make sure you have a Mg testing kit. I never went over 2000 on my system. I held stable at about 1800 when it all melted away. I wouldn't add too much at once, maybe 200ppm per day. I've added a lot at once, but just to be on the safe side, smaller rather than large amounts is always better. It may take a bit of time to work so don't get discouraged if it's not gone by morning. Just stay on top of it, manual removal is good if you can get to it. Good luck.

Well, here's my plan. I talked to Chris over at Fish Scales. He thinks (from pics at least) that I have bryopsis on the frags and maybe turf algae on the rocks. After the tank move, I'll end up with another tang (although I'm hesitant). And I can actually snip off the infected branch from the green bird's nest. This leaves my little zoa. I think I'm going to set up a 10g tonight and try dosing that tank with only the frag in there. Anyone think this is a bad plan?

texhorns98;352737 wrote: Well, here's my plan. I talked to Chris over at Fish Scales. He thinks (from pics at least) that I have bryopsis on the frags and maybe turf algae on the rocks. After the tank move, I'll end up with another tang (although I'm hesitant). And I can actually snip off the infected branch from the green bird's nest. This leaves my little zoa. I think I'm going to set up a 10g tonight and try dosing that tank with only the frag in there. Anyone think this is a bad plan?

We saw a tank recently where the owner tried the high mag to kill off the algae and it really messed with his corals, especially the softies.

I would caution great care.

Appreciate it toke. That's why I want to isolate this specific frag or two. If I lose them, I would be upset, but not as much as if I lost a whole tank's worth!

Back