algae id ?

Eric_n_Ga

Reaction score
Ok I have cut the light cycle 2 hrs, cut down the overall feeding , phosban , chemi pure , and turned the lights down 5%, with no reduction in this stuff . I assume it's just normal green algae of some sort. I added a 50 piece clean up crew to the already established clean up crew of multiple hermits ,snails , and other assorted supposed algae eaters and they aren't eating it ?

Tank is 29gal. And houses George and weezy the homeless clown fish , a yellow watch man goby , and a few different shrimp .

Any suggestions here ? The tanks healthy and my waters within acceptable parameters .

Thinking lawn mower blenny ?

Attachments

• IMG_20190820_191306.jpg
    IMG_20190820_191306.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20190820_191219.jpg
    IMG_20190820_191219.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20190820_191235.jpg
    IMG_20190820_191235.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20190820_191314.jpg
    IMG_20190820_191314.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 29
Yep, normal hair algae. I've got little tifts of it all over the tank. You have to be looking for them (which I do of course) but nothing too bad to worry about. I usually use it as an indicator that my blue hermit crab count is a little low and buy a dozen or so. It's also a good reminder to keep up with water changes because usually when I see the tufts of GHA pop up, it means I haven't been doing quite as many.

Well this keeps getting better . Today I have this on my Dunkin ? Wasn't there yesterday . UghhhhhhIMG_20190821_200411.jpgIMG_20190821_200416.jpgIMG_20190821_200426.jpg

You sure that's not bacterial? Does it seem to disappear when the lights are out?

Are you sure it’s green? The photos look otherwise on my screen.

I agree on the possibility of hair algae, or bacterial... based on the the photos. It could also be a cotton candy algae; but I think those are exclusively red or pink, not green.

You have a lot going on for a 29 gallon. You said that you added 50 clean up crew; that seems excessive. If any of them die, they will further fuel your algae problem, not remove it. Which species did you get? I ask this because many popular species, such as turbo snails, can eat a lot but they die pretty readily and release all the nutrients back into the tank. Meanwhile, many people will also overdo it on critters like Nassarius snails; which are helpful, but won’t eat algae, and you really don’t need that many of them (I’d say 0 to 2 of them for a 29g). As mentioned; I agree small hermit species are your best bet.

But to address your question; yes, lawnmower Blennies can be great tools to controlling algae! That just depends on if this is a type of algae that the Blennies will eat.

Also; you said that you cut your lights by 2 hours. What is the photoperiod now?

Hopefully that's just cyano on that duncan try blowing it off.

The thing about hair algae is... it grows in a healthy reef tank. If your tank is not growing hair algae something is very wrong. Yes you do need critters that will eat it to keep it under control though. In a small tank, I don't recommend using fish for control as most of the good herbivores require more space. Blennies are hit and miss... You would think something named "lawnmower blenny" would tear up all sorts of hair algae but I've had 3 strikeouts with them in the past and have given up on them for small tanks. So I'd recommend going with more blue leg hermits as has been mentioned supra. They seem to do a decent job.

How often are your water changes and what %. Because of my heavy feeding and having a heavy bioload I need to do an extra water change sometimes (like today). I have 2 mp40 maxed out so another powerhead is in my future to help stir the detritus up so I can get it out. Do you have enought flow in your tank? Good Luck

I do a 5gallon water change every Sunday .

Only feed 2 times a week and not heavy usually just enough for the clown fish . Either a little piece of rods frozen food .

Light cycle is only 8hrs with a single kessil 160 at 35%.

I have a good flow in the tank with a upgraded main pump 1100maxi and a smaller wavemaker running full blast .

As far as clean up crew .
I have a few of everything really. I'll get a list together in a follow up reply .

Odd thing is the Duncan is a high flow area and the green hair is growing in high flow areas too.

Everything else in the tank is looking better then ever . Hammers,zoas , monticap , the other Duncan ,alveapora , goniopra .

Glass is clear and clean of all growth and sand is pretty clean too.

Chitons,
Ceriths snail
Mini ceriths
Blue leg hermits
Scarlett hermits
Limpits
A turbo snail
Bumble bee looking snails

Nobody is interested in eating any of it

Ok I've added more blue leg hermits , some red leg hermits , I've done 3 applications of chemi clean with 3,25% water changes in 2 weeks and a 50% water change yesterday . I've removed about half my sand bed . Added a bag of Purigen , swapped the chemi pure elite , trimmed the cheato back to promote growth . STILL CANT RID OF THIS ALGAE!!

What are my other options ? Short of removing the rocks it's growing on I am out of ideas .

Trochus snails and some dwarf conchs did it for me. I was having an out break of algae bc I was gone for a week and a half and had a friend of mine was taking care of the tank and didn't set the skimmer right after he cleaned out the cup and I suspect he was feeding very heavy. @ActiveAngel was clutch when he offered to sell me a few of his snails. And the good thing now is that they are reproducing and I have seen about 3-4 baby snails going around the tank.

Where are you located? If you're open to it, and depending on who is nearby and available, perhaps I or someone else can stop by and take a look. Getting a positive ID is the first and necessary step. I'm still uncertain if it's Cyano, Hair, Cotton Candy, or some other algae.

Eric try adjusting your flow a bit if you can. As in change the angle of the nozzle or powerhead or whatever it is. High flow areas can sometimes have more algae than others simply because the grazers are being tossed about when they get to that spot thus preventing them from grazing... especially when its a direct current with little to no variability.

Back