Algae ID

fishtank

Market
Reaction score
at least I think it is Algae. Some of it looks slime like and some is tree or grass like. Tank has been up and running for 2 months. Went out of town for a week and came back to a huge outbreak. Anything I can do to help control this?

Tank mates are
1 yellow watchmen goby
pistol shrimp
cleaner shrimp
5 Tongan Nassarius snails and
2 Bumble bee snails

algaesm.jpg
alt="" />

algae1sm.jpg
alt="" />

Really hard to tell in those pics. Maybe some hair algea. Are you nutrients in line

Definitely looks like hair algae. If it's not bryopsis, I have always had excellent success with removing as much as I could manually, and then letting a turbo snail (or multiple turbo snails) go to town on the rest of it.

What Shane said. Remove as much as you can.

If it's not too troublesome to remove the hairy rocks, when you do a water change, take out the rocks, and brush them with a toothbrush (use one only for fish tank use, not a recycled one - fluoride is toxic), and give them a rinse in the waste water from your water change, and replace.

If you must leave the rock in the tank, take a tooth brush and try to catch the algae on the brush as you scrub it off. Use a net to scoop up any that gets loose - if it is let go in the tank it will just settle someplace else and/or clog up your intakes.

Keep an eye on your phosphate/nitrate levels, they are likely feeding it. Even if you don't see significant phosphate/nitrate in the water (via test), the algae are taking it up so it's there.

Jenn

thanks for the feedback. I can only check for nitrates with my current kit though and they are right around 1ppm.

fishtank;954644 wrote: thanks for the feedback. I can only check for nitrates with my current kit though and they are right around 1ppm.

Might I suggest salifert for nitrates and phosphates....nice kits...super easy

Back