Algae? Maybe

seand

Market
Reaction score
Ok so I have been battling this algae for a while. Last weekend I even broke down my big tank to get rid of it. Or so I thought. It appears to have found way into the new tank with the water or coral or filtration. This part is irrelevant. Can someone identify this and tell me the best course of action? It is brown and stringy, mostly on sand but gets on rocks and coral too.

sorry for the bad picture, I will see if I can get a better one.

Hard to tell from the picture. Look up cyanobacteria and dynoflagellates.

What are your parameters? What is your stocklist? Tank size? What do you feed, how much, how often? How old is your tank? How old was your last tank before you gave up and changed to the new one? Did you just move all your livestock from the old tank to the new one, including liverock and sand? What kind of sand did you use? What kind of filtration do you use?

Water parameters are good so I was puzzled. Tank size is a 60 frag tank, the last one was a 150 extra tall. I feed daily, I assumed that was normal and its mysis shrimp. Livestock is purple and blue tang, 2 wrasses and a couple very small anthias. Livestock was moved from the old tank which was a little over a year old but I did use new sand, regular cheap live sand. Filtration is adv-300 sump (eshopps) with a regal 200 octopus skimmer, new biopellet reactor and carbon GFO reactor.

It looks like it might be dynoflagellates, it doesn't form a mat like cyano usually does. Can this be brought in from the other tank?

I just battled dinos and yah it does look like what I had. They are in the corals as well so moving corals from one tank to another just brings them over. Pretty awful lil buggers. Change your carbon regularly as you battle them as they do release a lot of toxins.

Cyano and dinos look pretty similar. One way to tell for sure if you have dinos or not is to take some of the stuff out and put it in a cup. Add a ml of hydrogen peroxide. If they dissolve then it's cyano which is a lot easier to manage...

I dunno if what I did will work for you or not. There are a lot of war stories online and I tried a lot of things in isolation to no avail. I battled it for about 6 weeks... and am now dino free.

In isolation I tried:
- dosing hydrogen peroxide - by itself this made it much worse as regular nuisance algaes like cyano and hair algae will melt from h2o2 giving more space and nutrients for the dinos to flourish. Using something like chemiclean would be just as bad and I think this is a common mistake for those that are battling dinos and misdiagnosing them as cyano.
- stopping water changes - the idea here is that after water changes the dinos seem to flourish more so than usual. I can attest that this seemed to be the case as doing daily water changes as I was siphoning them out just seemed to intensify the problem.
- increasing nitrates - some folks online have noted that increasing nitrate levels to around 2ppm seemed to kill off the dinos. The theory was that they would burst from excessive nitrates. I tried dosing sodium nitrates for a week and really didn't see a difference.
- heavy manual extraction - I purchased some 50 micron filter socks, doubled them up and started siphoning them out into the filter sock that I placed in the sump. Thereby not doing any water changes. Make sure you stir up the water column as dormant dinos are all over the place and will look like near transparent strings... at least mine were. I even took a toothbrush to any coral or rock that seemed to have dinos established on them. This was painstaking work...
- reducing lights - I had the lights out for 4 days straight and when they came back on I only ran actinics for another week.
- removing sand bed - They would literally grow back to full strength so quickly and especially on the sand bed that I ended up just removing the entire sand bed.
- increased GFO - I doubled the amount of GFO thinking it was a nutrient issue... no avail. This unfortunately had a negative effect on my sps.
- introduced various different types of microfauna - this included different pods, mysid shrimp, mini brittle stars, asternid, and a bunch of different snail types.

Nothing by itself worked. So... there is no magic bullet here as far as I could tell. What finally seemed to work for me though was doing a bunch of these things together. First I spent around 4 hours doing the most thorough manual extraction I possibly could. Keep in mind that you can literally watch these things grow as you're removing them... so scrub or siphon out anything it's growing on... it was at this point that I removed the rest of the sandbed. After the manual extraction I went lights out for 4 days and dosed h2o2 every day at 1ml per 10 gallons. When the lights came back on I only used actinics for a week. During this time there were still a few dinos that would pop up. I would manually extract immediately... and then the most interesting thing started to happen... I got busy one day and told myself I would extract some of the few dino strands in the morning. Low and behold in the morning they were gone. Same thing happened the next day... and the next... until there were no more dino strands showing up at anytime. I think finding a natural predator for it would be the best solution... but none of the snails would really go for it and I'm not sure what eats these little protists. Everything has a natural predator though and something was consuming it. I'm not sure but I think it was some of the microfauna that I had added weeks and weeks before. It just may have taken time for them to grow to sufficient numbers and previously my outbreaks were so huge that they couldn't make a dent. I'm not really sure as I never witnessed anything munching on it but it was definitely at night when they would vanish mysteriously. As such, I think tanks with more diverse microfauna are more likely to never see this issue pop up.

Good luck, I'm hoping you have an easier time than I did.

Back