Algae on rock

sica118

Market
Reaction score
Hey guys just got back from vacation and I have all of this stringy algae in my rock any suggestions on how to get rid of it? Crabs gobys etc.
9ae4498256af14f4ed1c45fd164e69d3.jpg
alt="" />
a696b8abd07ddb2e5e3d04b0acd3e7b1.jpg
alt="" />

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawnmower blennies are really cool fish. They will definitely take care of the hair algae.

check your gfo or if its been a couple months change it out. phosguard also is an option.

if you have this stuff continually, then a turbo would do fine. im hesitant about lawnmowers because they can starve pretty quickly.

Sica118;1036845 wrote: What is gfo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

k so. phosphate test will possibly be useless but that stuff uses it to grow. you can go the iron route or the aluminum route. we can get in to the pros and cons of both at another time.

gfo is granular ferric oxide or rust you put in a canister as a medium to "bind" phosphate introduced to the system. (iron based)

seachem's aluminum method also works and i personally have never had an issue with it since it has to precipitate at 2.7 ppm at 8ish ph and you need 20+ or so to kill a sponge. (which leads me to believe the lower ph killed it in the test)

be that as it may. phosphate is your concern. maybe nitrate as well.

do a phosphate and nitrate test and get back to us?

franciscosalazar;1036853 wrote: Freshwater bath till it falls off, if possible

this i would not suggest. nor would it help the cause.

fw dips are good for parasites on multicellular organisms.

I had the same problem and got a kole tang and he cleaned the tank up in less than 5 days. It was easily as bad as yours. This was after pulling it by hand brutally at least 3 weekends in a row only to have it constantly grow back. Never had a problem since....

my 2 cents

Russ-IV;1036854 wrote: this i would not suggest. nor would it help the cause.

fw dips are good for parasites on multicellular organisms.

Ok....
Worked fine for me.
Several people on here can attest to my success...

Pull out what you can by hand and get a good clean up crew; turbo snails, hermit crabs, emrald crabs, and in my case a sea hare (an algae bulldozer). Using GFO as well to bring phosphate levels down and keep them there. Also stay on top of your w/c

Back