Algae problem..

giulianom

Market
Reaction score
So for the last year or so I've had a 30g freshwater planted tank, and recently I've been having problems with algae...

lVhQq.jpg
>
lVhQql.jpg
alt="" /></a>

I've been trying to kill it off with algaecide, dosing once every 2-3 days, but it hasn't gotten rid of it very well.

Measurements:

Nitrites are 0
Nitrates are 0
GH is between 75-150
KH is between 120-180
Chlorine is 0
PH is ~7.0, using phosphate-based Neutral Regulator.

Phosphates, when measured, are off the chart (>5.0)

The water is filtered via RO (but not DI), changed about every 2-3 weeks.

Any ideas?

I run chemipure elite in my FW tank, I change that and my carbon every 3 months. I also decreased my light time, and it took care of my algae problem pretty quickly.

I have two plecos... And two loaches, for that matter.

Used to have snails, but they always end up dying.

The lamps are 64W compact fluorescents, in the right spectrum for plants. I think I run them for about 8hrs a day.

How much should I cut them back to, without killing my plants?

Oh, and the dirt is Caribsea Planted Aquarium stuff.. About 3-4"..

I would say you don't have to cut your lighting! How much do you feed your fish? and what are you running in your filter?

Feed them a pinch or two of flake food, usually once every 2-3 days. Sometimes some algae wafers..

Filter is a fluval 205 canister, with 1 basket full of biological media (porous stone material), and 2 baskets with Fluval Clearmax resin media.

Changed out 2 baskets of carbon for the resin.

Not at the moment. Algaecide says to remove carbon for 6-8 hours, but its been several weeks...

Biologically, it seems stable.
Sure stinks of algae, tho... You can smell it in the water.

What I would do is add some carbon! Stop doing the algaecide, those don't work! My secret for keeping my freshwater system clean of algae is this stuff called "algone" it's a packet you put in your filter. They don't sell it anywhere, you have to buy it online! Not a whole lot of people know about it, but it is the best stuff ever!!!! If I were you I would start using it regularly! Some people may say not to, but I have used Algone for 6+ years! http://www.algone.com/">http://www.algone.com/</a>
And it's not expensive either!

GiulianoM;652048 wrote: PH is ~7.0, using phosphate-based Neutral Regulator.

BINGO! There's your problem.

Neutral Regulator should be used in non-planted tanks and it IS phosphate based.

For planted tanks you need to be using Seachem Acid Buffer and Alkaline Buffer (BUFFER, not Regulator). The "buffers" have no phosphate and will not contribute to algae.

There is no "neutral buffer" so you will need both the Acid Buffer and Alkaline Buffer and use the proportions listed on the labels to get the desired pH.

That should solve your problem.

Jenn

Awesome, thanks! I will try that.

Does RO remove phosphates from water?

I don't have the DI canister option.

Yes, RO strips most impurities from water, including phosphate. Yours is off the map because you're using Neutral Regulator, which, as you pointed out, is phosphate-based. That product is excellent for non-planted tanks, and it makes for a more stable pH but it's the wrong product for your application.

Phosphate in the water also comes from food/waste, but that is probably not the main cause of your issue at this point.

My suggestion would be to switch to the Acid Buffer and Alkaline Buffer. You might want to use some Phosguard to remove the phosphate that's in there now. You might also want to give Seachem a call at 888-Seachem (I'm assuming it's their products you're using - Neutral Regulator is their product), and they will likely be able to give you more specific instruction about how to switch over (freshwater isn't my strong suite).

I had long wondered why there were "regulators" and "buffers" for what appeared to be the same function. I learned the difference when I went to Seachem Platininum training a couple of years ago. Then it was like an, "AHA!" moment :)

The problem may not go away overnight, but getting rid of the phosphate and switching to the right products will be the first step.

Jenn

And I bet my Nitrates are 0 only because the algae is eating it all...

Algae and plants perhaps. Plants need sources of phosphorous and nitrogen - phosphate and nitrate are sources. Under normal circumstances, your plants will take up both, and in fact you may need to supplement them (IE Flourish products). However a well maintained tank should have low to undetectable nitrate. But yes, in this instance, the algae is probably helping to consume them.

Jenn

I dropped by the Avarium today, and the helpful guys pointed me towards some new Seachem products:

Seachem Equilibrium - for planted tanks and use with RO/DI water. Maintains the mineral balance and GH.

Seachem Flourish Excel - liquid organic carbon (CO2) for planted tanks.

Both contain no phosphates or nitrates...

I'm going to do a large water change, replace the resin media in my filter with the carbon, and clean out as much of the algae as I can, and see how it works out.

Back