Algae problems

pkaugusta

Market
Reaction score
I have some hair algae in my tank. No matter how much its controlled there are some remaining around frags and colonies. I had a phosphate problem , but now its controlled. I have a question, What if I move all the frags and colonies to a frag tank and keep the main thank dark for several days. Mine is a 125 gallon so I can keep just basic lighting in one area for fish to see food. My concern is, will massive algal death increase the phosphates and nitrate levels fast ?

Short answer: yes. But blackouts won't kill most hair algae... that stuff needs very little light to remain viable.

If the frags/colonies in question are zoas/palythoa a quick 5 minute dip in hydrogen peroxide/tank water solution & gentle cleaning with a SOFT bristled toothbrush will remove or kill just about everything shy of some strains of byropsis.

In my case I've found that stocking a lot of things that LIKE to eat pest algae has been pretty darn effective. If you can find 'em - banded trochus snails, hands down. Stock one per 10-20 gallons & they'll likely breed up to the point that food availability limits their population & they'll keep the rocks clean..

I'll second the advice of herbivores. If you tank is big enough to support a fox face they will mow down most algaes.

Back