Alien creature? Indentify,,help!

scramer74

Market
Reaction score
These were the best pics i could get. Really gross looking thing living in a rock hole.

It was about 1/4 inch in width. Palish white, tubuler, I'm not sure how long, it had a what looked like crawfish type mouth part, but the rest of the body looked soft. It's the whiteish thing in the middle of the first 2 pics. The last pic is what came out when I tried to grab it with long tweezers. That piece looked like legs of some sort.

Any ideas? Really creeping me out. Yes, I'm a girl! Things gross me out!
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

I can't help you with the description however if it was in my tank my fingers wouldn't be in there anytime soon!
Whatever that green slimy liquid is that those leggy things are in is pretty gross looking to LOL

Lol! Deb, that's just a green cup that I threw the body part in. Thank God there was no slim involved!! I just hope i decapated it and it's dead!! There were 2 hermits up there tonight. Maybe they were cleaning up.

sherri, i can't get a good look from the pictures but from what you described it might be a bobbit worm, although they usually hide in the sand. google it and see if its a match.

Is it alive? To me it almost looks like a hermit crab molted, could be seeing things though, hard to tell

Oh dear LORD I hope it's just a hermit crab!!! I couldn't tell if it was alive. It was just kind of swaying and it didn't retreat when I tried to grab it with the tweezers. Plus the hermits love to hang out in this hole. There was one in there at the time of the sighting. I really hope it's not a bobbit worm. Those things look horrible!!! It looked similar but the body was whitish.

Picoreefguy;1030237 wrote: sherri, i can't get a good look from the pictures but from what you described it might be a bobbit worm, although they usually hide in the sand. google it and see if its a match.

Thanks Pico! You've officially creeped me out LOL! It looked similar but a whitish body. I'm hoping to GOD that isn't what that was!!! I haven't seen it again.

Just a little idea of some of the hitch hikers that end up in some of our tanks.
Take nothing for granted.

showthread.php

I can't tell from the pictures either, but if it were alive, you would have never grabbed it easily with tweezers. I would tend to agree that it was a molt.

I agree Amy! I poked around in where it was and it didn't retreat And I Googled hermit molting and there was an exact pic of the claw part I pulled out.

Why i went with all dry rock. Hitch hickers are my worst nightmare

Don't feel bad. Whether we all want to admit it or not some things are better off left in the oceans and not in our tanks.

Hermit crab molt maybe?

I can't see anything in the first 2 pictures, but the third picture is a hermit crab molt. They don't have a shell on their lower abdomen so only the front half of the body - head/legs/antennae molt, so it looks like 'half' of something when they shed.

That's what I see.

Jenn

Back