Reaction score
As of yesterday evening my parameters were:
DKH : 10
Ca: 420
Mg: ~1400
This morning my alk is

Why is it swinging like this?

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Nearly every morning it reads in the low 7s...
Is the new tank just not balanced yet?
I also run a kalk reactor w ATO soooo...

Geez

It always settles in the 7s

That is why I drip the kalk instead of ATO. Much more stable. Not sure that is it but it could contribute.

But the kalk SHOULD bring the alk UP r

Even so... What could be making it take such a swing. I do have 43 sps in there, but they are frags... Can't imagine using that much in a night

Brandon I have a kalk stirrer feeding my ATO and I don't have these issues. How often are you stirring the kalk in the stirrer? I have a GEO Kalk reactor and I have it connected to my APEX and use a OSC command so it stirs the kalk every 4 hours. Every 4 hours is the GEO recommended stir time.

How much evap are you experiencing a day? I average around 4-5 gallons a day with approx. 390 gallons of water volume.

I only have about a gallon of evap a day. It stirs all the time . It is one that spins in the bottom and one with a water pun for stirring.

I have an idea for the reactor I'm going to try.

How often does it come on? I was thinking it might be dumping too much at once thus the spike and then adversely the lower side later. Some of the ATO that add asmaller amounts at the time may be a little more stable.

grouper therapy;1068905 wrote: How often does it come on? I was thinking it might be dumping too much at once thus the spike and then adversely the lower side later. Some of the ATO that add asmaller amounts at the time may be a little more stable.

No I have to dose to get it off the bottom side of things.
Being that low just makes me nervous

What about the fact that you probably are evaporating more during the day. You could try dripping small amounts of kalk during the night to keep the alk stable.

SnowManSnow;1068912 wrote: My ATO is an Osmolator btw

SnowManSnow;1068911 wrote: No I have to dose to get it off the bottom side of things.

yeah that pretty much kills my theory. HMM

SnowManSnow;1068912 wrote: My ATO is an Osmolator btw

SnowManSnow;1068911 wrote: No I have to dose to get it off the bottom side of things.

yeah that pretty much kills my theory. HMM

Well. Then consider the following
I just discovered my ATO has been off a few days.
DRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Does the livestock look stressed?

Are you dosing a lot of stuff?

Sometimes you can tinker (and overthink) something right to death.

If stuff isn't unhappy and your basic parameters are stable, back off of the tweaking for 2-3 weeks and just do normal maintenance and let the tank find its equilibrium.

Jenn

JennM;1068984 wrote: Does the livestock look stressed?

Are you dosing a lot of stuff?

Sometimes you can tinker (and overthink) something right to death.

If stuff isn't unhappy and your basic parameters are stable, back off of the tweaking for 2-3 weeks and just do normal maintenance and let the tank find its equilibrium.

Jenn

probably the best advice.

when things swing like you are experiencing. i do a massive 50% wc. usually it cures what ails what we cant test for.

Everything looks fine. Polyp extension and all is fine. Nothing is pissed.

Back