Alk to high

anthony

Market
Reaction score
Looks like my alk is too high
Anyone know how to bring it down?

Add a bunch of sps to use it up faster!
I'm j/k
Do you use 2 part or use kalk or a calcium reactor?
If so I'd stop that for starters .
How high is it and what's making it high ?
The trick with alk is to adjust it up and down slowly or you will experience rtn from the swing , you can do water change but check the alk lvl on the wc water , It could be driving it up if you got a bad batch of salt.

Before you panic try and have a LFS or another reefer double check your readings.

You are just barely above the ideal range. I wouldn't panic unless something is reacting badly. Alk won't rise on it's own. Stop whatever you are doing to make it go up ie... reactor or dosing. Let it drop on it's own and then carefully start dosing again.

214 ppm is equal to approximate 12dkh which although on the high end of what's acceptable
it is within acceptable range for growth I don't think that you will have too much trouble unless it keeps getting higher.

I got that calculation by multiplying the ppm number(214) by 0.056 to convert to dkh

Just did a huge water change day before yesterday. Maybe thats it. Im not dosing or using anything other yhan a skimmer

Cool thanks for the help guys hopefully it will just drop on his own I was also told to turn the camera off at night supposedly that helps I'm going to give everything a shot and see how it goes hopefully it was just a large water change that caused the problem once again thanks for all the help Anthony

Well Ive read that with high calcium you will get hogh alk at first. And salinity does have a higher calcium load than most others..so maybe thats it

I don't know of a single salt that has dkh 12+. My guess is your test kit is way off or you are doing something not quite right executing the test or even reviewing results.

If you don't have SPS, it's probably not a huge concern anyway. 12 is def high, but not likely going to cause a huge problem in he short term. Assuming it is real, I would do as others suggested and just let it naturally come down.

Pending your selection of corals, u def need to look into dosing needs. In most cases, you cannot rely on water changes alone. Even tanks with few corals, but alot of coralline algae will consume a fair amount of alk and calc

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Anthony;1087802 wrote: Well Ive read that with high calcium you will get hogh alk at first. And salinity does have a higher calcium load than most others..so maybe thats it
High calc does not equal high alk. Dosing one will not raise the other unless it is a product that has both...like lime water

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I just looked up what that salt was supposed to be.

Their ranges are 8.96 dkh (160.2ppm) to 10.64 dkh (190.3ppm). That is a pretty **** wide variance IMO. For that reason alone I would not use that salt!

BUT, if your getting 12+ dkh (214+ ppm) then they are even out of their own tolerance. I suspect again that either off in your testing, OR perhaps your salinity is off. Perhaps your salinity is actually higher than you think it is. In that case everything should test higher.

I would suggest you take a sample of your water to someone else (perhaps your LFS) and have them do an independent set of tests for you.

Back