Alkalinity high - 15dkh

oz

Market
Reaction score
My alkalinity is high (which is keeping my ph low depsite adding Kalk) and I plan on doing several water changes over the next week to lower it.

So outside of water changes, is there another way to lower alkalinity? I have already turned the calcium reactor off for now.

Would adding magnesium help as I am sure it is low?

u sure that you are reading the test correctly? Some are .5?

Water changes best best while keeping calcium at 450 or so.

Yeah - new API kit, each drop is a KH point.

That's what I thought, dripping RO as we speak. Ugh.

Don't turn the reactor off....turn it down if anything...by either lowering the bubble count or opening the drip more. Turning it off and then turn it back on may put you in the same spot again...if you don't adjust it. My Alk was that high when I put on my reactor too. That's why you start with a slow bubble count and the flow a little more open. All the fun of tuning a reactor...constant testing. just remember you'll never get fast results from the water after tuning the reactor....you need to wait a day two so the water can fully cycle for a good read.

There are other ways but none better than water changes. Remember, water changes can cause no harm!

And Lee's right, don't turn off the calcium reactor. You need to "calibrate" your tank with everything running as it normally would. Otherwise you're back to square 1 when you crank it back up.

And make sure you do smaller water changes....too much too fast is never good. Dropping ALK of 15 to 8 is bad. In all honestly...you don't really need to do a water change....maybe a small one...or two. Just adjust your reactor and the tank will adjust.

Thanks guys. My ph is what's really killing me. I can dose kalk slowly and get my ph up to 8.0 (from 7.66) over a couple days but then 24hrs later, ph drops right back down to 7.66. I heard that I can't get my ph satable until I get the alkalinity under control. That's why I am leaning towards a 25% water change tonight and another one in a couple days.

Back