Alkalinity solution

Gdel

Supporting
Reaction score
Hi All, I’ve noticed over the last day or so when alkalinity is dosed it seems to fall out of solution upon hitting the water, and the water has a grainy appearance, like sand is blowing around in the water column. Any idea what might be happening. The only thing olive done different is increase my flow by cleaning the power heads and I also doses 100ml of magnesium last night… my all measures 8.5 this morning which is normal and stable… anyway, just not sure what’s causing the Alk to immediately fall out of solution. Corals look happy and full too. Any thoughts?

I just tested and it’s at 8.7 which is in the normal range. I dose BRA two part.

Maybe it’s not alkalinity after all… could just be the increased flow kicking up material that’s never been disturbed before. I’ll test again tonight and make sure my alk is stable.

If it's keeping your alk stable it's fine you just may think it looks weird while it's doing exactly what it's supposed to. Do you have a sump? If so I'd recommend dosing it there not directly to the return pump chamber either, you want it to mix before blasting directly into your coral. If it's actually precipitated due to a bad mix you'll see you'll be increasing the amount you dose but the alk will not increase

Take the side of caution. You are precipitating!! minerals are very very high. Immediately do a 25% water change. Let it rest. 8.7 is living on the edge. You could stop the mineral supplement for a month without any ill effects. Everything you add must be metered very very very carefully. Disassemble and check your pumps for precipitate.
This was an infamous accurance long ago with kalk drips.
Tests have a range and are far more inaccurate and read lower at the edges of the low high This only increases as it ages.
Been wrong before though.

I had the same issue dosing two prat in 2 of my tanks. I had to move the dosing hose to a high flow area to make is stop.
One tank I had to add a small flow pump in the sump chamber and put the hose directly in the path of drip to get it to stop.
On my frag qt I drilled holes in the hob lid for the dose tubing so it drips directly into the return flow.

Back