Alkalinity

kevinathom

Market
Reaction score
I have a quick question concerning alkalinity. I am having to dose my tank every other day to keep the alkalinity in about 8.3 to 8.5. My calcium is not an issue. Corals seem happy and are growing. I'm doing 5 - 10 gallon water changes weekly on a 65 gallon tank. What can cause the alkalinity in tend downward (in the absence of dosing) without a corresponding decrease in CA?

What salt mix are you using? I use IO reef crystals (if I remember correctly) has 550 ppm calcium at 1.026 salinity. I would suspect your water changes (dependant on the brand) are replenishing the calciums uptake. I think the calcium depletes @ at rate of 20ppm to 1dkh alkalinity. Here is a lot of great information on reef chemistry.

a>

Just ordered me some RSV salt so I can mix exactly. Been using tropic Marin but the fluctuations are just too much.

Kevin - I have had issues w/ Alk falling and Ca staying steady. I upped alk dose and wasn't able to raise Alk.. So I upped it again and same result. I found an article on the web that talks about relationship between the 2 and it wasn't until I upped the dose of both did I get my levels steady. Might want to try that? Might want to google the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BEFORE my corals and inverts grew, I used more Alk 2-1 than calcium

for the last 7-8 years, I am using Calcium 3-2

just add more of the one that is being used more....

Thanks you for the information. I've been getting my H2O from Pure Reef, and they have been great. I have to admit though - I feel like this is one giant post-grad chemistry experiment and I'm still in grade school. Lots to learn and I'm glad there's not a written exam at the end.

Back