Alpha Vertex Cone 170

crab0000

Market
Reaction score
I pre-ordered a Royal Exclusive Alpha Vertex Cone from Premium Aquatics around 6 weeks ago and got it today! Wow, this is a big skimmer compared to my Deltec Turbo 1250. The build quality is excellent and it is completely silent. When I plugged the pump in I didn't think it was running until I saw the body filling with bubbles! Anyway, here are some pics.......

P7165691.jpg
alt="" />

P7165693.jpg
alt="" />

The mighty Red Dragon!:D

P7165695.jpg
alt="" />

P7165697.jpg
alt="" />

My Deltec was still working fine, but I'm an equipment junky, so......

P7165703.jpg
alt="" />

Here's a pic with the Deltec cup on top for size comparison.

P7165706.jpg
alt="" />

And with a Mtn. Dew on top for further size comparison.
P7165702.jpg
alt="" />

Christmas in July! Congrats. Like getting a Bubble King without the Bubble King price.

Shot of the bubble plate.

P7165700.jpg
alt="" />

Installed.

P7165709.jpg
alt="" />

P7165708.jpg
alt="" />

P7165710.jpg
alt="" />

If you look closely you'll see a red plug in the bottom of the cone. It's an alternate mounting point for the pump, so I'll probably be switching that around so I have the input on one side and the output on the other instead of both on one side.

Very nice I have been looking into those for a little while now. Cant wait to see what it produces...

Me either! I guess I finally wore my wife down with the begging and she finally agreed to let me get it. :D

I changed the orientation of the pump and fed the tank about 30 minutes ago. I now have a head of foam! I didn't wash the skimmer at all; it went straight fro the box into the sump!

P7165711.jpg
alt="" />

P7165712.jpg
alt="" />

I thought about purchasing one for my tank. Little more $$ than I have. Keep us up to date in the next few days. Your preformance review may sway me.

Yeah Big D, I saw you got the 200 or 250 on RC. Post up some of your pics to help sway those still trying to decide!

wow... what's the footprint on that thing..?

I'm making a sump and I'm giving myself a 9X14 "intake" area... it will fit my current skimmer, but I don't want to tie my hands if i ever decide (or need) to upgrade.. .

(sump and pump in that footprint I asked for)
:)

I would say around 11.5"X8" with the pump and outlet on the same side. With them on opposite sides (the way I have it set up now) it's closer to 17"X8".

Footprint: 12.5" x 7.75" (Could be closer to 11.5" if you
cut the silicone coupling down)

Here's what I have in my 170 after 2.5 days. Keep in mind I've been playing with the water level and changed the orientation of the pump. The head of foam is much more stable now as it continues to break in. Even though the skimmate was very light it still had a terrible stench to it! When I emptied it it filled a 20 oz. Mtn. Dew bottle to the top (I just stuck the drain tube into the bottle to drain it instead of removing and cleaning the cup).

P7195717.jpg
alt="" />

any updates? i have also been following the threads on RC for some time debating on these skimmers.

The pic of skimmate was from yesterday morning. As it breaks in it's getting darker. I'll post another nog shot in a few days.

Tagging along on this one. As the new tank is closer to arriving, I think I'll need to upgrade skimmers. The Alpha cones and ATB Econo's are on my short list for sure.

Gorgeous skimmer, congrats!

Apparently some people were having problems with the pumps on the 170's surging(I have not had that problem), so Klaus went back to the drawing board, actually I guess it was a CNC :D, and developed a new impeller and volute with an adjustable venturi. I received mine today. Premium Aquatics automatically sent them out to everyone who bought from them at no charge! Excellent customer service from both RE and PA! On to the pics!

PA085864.jpg
alt="" />

PA085865.jpg
alt="" />

PA085867.jpg
alt="" />

I'm happy with how mine's working right now, so I'm not switching it out right now. I'm going to just keep the new stuff for back up. Here's what I get in 5 days.

PA085868.jpg
alt="" />

Back