Alternative to cheato

Eric_n_Ga

Reaction score
Looking for an alternative macro to put in my fuge that won't shed and clog up my skimmer intake as they share space . Sea lettuce , red ogo , anything you guys recommend ?

Looking for an alternative macro to put in my fuge that won't shed and clog up my skimmer intake as they share space . Sea lettuce , red ogo , anything you guys recommend ?
Red ogo is slow growing and very pretty. Sea lettuce does have a tendency for me to shred fairly easily, but does grow faster then the ogo in my refugium.

How big is the fuge? I have never had any luck with cheato. I have grape, fern, and flat blade caulerpa in all my tanks and have never had trouble. I do have my fuge lights on 24/7

Fuge is 16" x 4" . I was able to grow masses of cheato but the mass was a mess to deal with.
Thats a good size. I have rubble in the bottom of my fuge. Once the caulerpa takes hold I just rip out a couple of handfuls once a week or so. I know some do not like using caulerpa but its been great for me in all my tanks. I even have in the 2nd chamber of my biocube

You may want to read up on caulerpa before placing in a füge and/or tank, as it may begin reproducing sexually under certain conditions.

Thats why I keep my fuge lights on 24/7 and thin it out weekly. So far that's worked for me. Definitely do some research before choosing caulerpa. There is always a chance that I have just been lucky.:)

I've got some caulerpa prolifera and the name is really quite accurate. It's great but I would stay away from it in your situation. I always find leaves stuck on my powerheads. Of course this it typically after I try and remove some of it but I'd still be it would shed a leaf or two once in a while regardless. You're welcome to some but I just wanted to give you a heads up if you were considering that as an option.

Back