Alternatives to live rock!

camg

Market
Reaction score
Im about to upgrade to a 75 gal next weekend. (VERY EXCITED)! I cant afford to spend sooooo much on the live rock to fill the tank. I noticed that calireefer has used a floating rock work method that doesnt use as much live rock. I also know that there is filler rock..... but it still is exspensive as some of the live rock I have seen. Any suggestions as to how I should fill my tank are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance Everyone!!!!!!

I put PVC pipes in mine to hold my Live rocks. They elevate the reef and add more hidding spaces. Eventually they grow the corraline algea and you dont notice them, but I put cheap base rocks to cover up some of the pipes. The best part is that the pipe is like 4 bucks. Good luck.

I'm sure some others can give you more informed advice, but in the meantime I suggest that you look into the option of making your own base rock. It's cheap, although it looks like a pain in the a$$. Google 'making live rock'.

stickx911;169903 wrote: I put PVC pipes in mine to hold my Live rocks. They elevate the reef and add more hidding spaces. Eventually they grow the corraline algea and you dont notice them, but I put cheap base rocks to cover up some of the pipes. The best part is that the pipe is like 4 bucks. Good luck.

How do you secure the rocks to the pipe?

Make your own!
IMG_1081.jpg
alt="" />
IMG_1082.jpg
alt="" />
IMG_0818.jpg
alt="" />
IMG_0813.jpg
alt="" />

And after about half a year you cant even tell the difference.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
169912=10446-Feb1108002.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
169912=10446-Feb1108002.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Feb1108002.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

If you cut the ppipes so they are about 3-4 inches. Just stick it in the sand and the weight of the rock will hold it in place.

that's awsome! I wish I would have know about that a while back. But that seems pretty difficult.

where do you get the stuff to do this... does home depot sell the aragonite stuff....and will quickrete work for this?

Make a pvc frame that sits under your sand bed. Wherever you want your rock column's use a pvc t fitting and a 90 (elbow). Then drill your rock (3/4in hammer bit) and use a short piece of pvc (I used 1/2in) to connect your rock work to the sub sand frame. It works great, you can elevate your rock work over your sand bed, make elaborate arches and caves and it's very stable. No rock slides.
While you have the drill out, make a bunch of holes for frag plugs. This will save you a lot of work with coral placement down the road.

Good luck with it and post some pictures. I would love to see how it turns out.

Merlin

I would be interested to see what you end up doing. Im going to be setting up a 75 RR soon as well. Keep us posted on what you decide to do. I know that Mountain Pets in Murphy has base rock for 2.99 per pound. Its where I got mine and it was decent. Just let me know and I can meet you there and maybe help you pick out some decent pieces. They have some good and not so good, but maybe it will be enough to help. Are you going to be moving the rock from your 20g to the 75 or doing a totally new tank?

90% of my now LR came ffrom there huge pieces at a good price...
dscn2663cp7.jpg
alt="" /></a>

WILLIAM1;170013 wrote: Check marco rocks out the link is http://www.marcorocks.com">www.marcorocks.com</a> they have great prices on dead rock you can cure while you cycle...[/QUOTE]

Camg, just checked this out, the site has some awesome deals. Some marco combined with decent LR may be the way to go.

THANKS GUYS! I will be moving everything from the twenty over to the 75. But that will be a little while down the road after I let the tank cycle a few weeks with some live rocks and sand. What is the suggested time for letting a tank of this size to cycle. Another question... What does "curing" rock mean?

I belive the cycle time has to do with how much premium LR and LS you put into the tank to begin with. When I set up my tank, I got 90% of my rock from an established reef of 4+ years and he also gave me all the sand I needed directly from his reef. I just used about 5 pounds of cured base rock (no coralline or anything on the rock) I didnt even see a cycle so to speak because everything was already established. I think the key to a faster cycle time is getting a few pounds of quality LR and live sand from established tanks to give you a good headstart and faster cycle. I just tested my water every day and after 3 weeks I didnt see any ammonia or nitrites and everything was stable I started adding critters. I hope that helped.

Heres a little something on cycling... Plus I think Marcos is the way to go two thumbs up for that rock..Just add some nice LR to it and bammmm
a>

Back