Am I missing anything?

smokin' reefer

Reaction score
I'm new at this, please help. I have my 110g setup with a 29g sump. Here is how i plan to set it up, tell me if i am missing something. Water comes out of the overflow into the protien skimmer (asm g-2 w/ upgraded 5000 pump) section of the sump. under and over the dividers into the refugium, under and over the dividers into the return pump (eheim 1262 rated at 900 gph). I will split the return and have two inlets on each side of the tank. I have 3 Koralia 2 power heads. I was thinking about positioning 2 of them on the overflow side of the tank and one on the opposite side at different height levels. I will eventually purchase better powerheads, but this is all i could afford right now. Will this create enough flow? To start, i will have fish and few easy(ier) to keep corals.

thanks in advance

dawgdude;140580 wrote: Oh and just a tip, stay AWAY from petland, their salt water dept isnt quite up to par. Aquarium outfitters is better buy still a bit over priced and anything the owner tells you about reef keeping IGNORE IT!

okay... am <span style="font-size: 13px;">I</em></span> missing something?

I'm guessing these are Athens stores, but still... might be a good idea to preface these kinds of statements with something like "in my opinion</em>" or "in my experience</em>".

Just a thought.

:)

smokin' reefer;140579 wrote: I'm new at this, please help. I have my 110g setup with a 29g sump. Here is how i plan to set it up, tell me if i am missing something. Water comes out of the overflow into the protien skimmer (asm g-2 w/ upgraded 5000 pump) section of the sump. under and over the dividers into the refugium, under and over the dividers into the return pump (eheim 1262 rated at 900 gph). I will split the return and have two inlets on each side of the tank. I have 3 Koralia 2 power heads. I was thinking about positioning 2 of them on the overflow side of the tank and one on the opposite side at different height levels. I will eventually purchase better powerheads, but this is all i could afford right now. Will this create enough flow? To start, i will have fish and few easy(ier) to keep corals.

thanks in advance
How big of a pipe do you have running from your tank to the sump and how many of them? A single 1" drain gravity fed can only handle about 600gph. If you throw a 900gph even with headloss you could be looking at an overflow situation.

dawgdude;140596 wrote: Yes the Athens Petland, I figured this was understood with the Aquarium outfitters statement.

I'm with Linda on this one. Since I didn't know Aquarium Outfitters was strictly in Athens, I naturally though of the Alpharetta and Duluth stores. I thought did I </em>miss something! :doh:

jefft;141899 wrote: I'm with Linda on this one. Since I didn't know Aquarium Outfitters was strictly in Athens, I naturally though of the Alpharetta and Duluth stores. I thought did I </em>miss something! :doh:

Well, I think my point was missed. Just think it's not a great idea to dis any LFS with any broad statements that might hurt that store's business and eventually lead to its demise. Any LFS, no matter how many problems it might appear to have, is better than no LFS, right? Petland in Athens is still good for an emergency fish food or salt purchase, etc.

I'm talking to myself here, because I've said things about the LFS in the past that I wish I hadn't said. I've learned that for every seemingly *bad* experience that I may have had in a particular LFS, 10 others may have had *good* experiences. For instance, I've said at one time that I'd never darken the door of Cap Bay again, yet it's become one of my favorite stores.

dawgdude;140580 wrote: Oh and just a tip, stay AWAY from petland, their salt water dept isnt quite up to par.
could be something like "it's been my experience that the saltwater dept at the Athens Petland isn't quite up to par, so shop carefully."

dawgdude;140580 wrote: Aquarium outfitters is better buy still a bit over priced and anything the owner tells you about reef keeping IGNORE IT!
could be something like "I've found Aquarium outfitters to be a bit overpriced and in my opinion you might want to research anything the owner tells you about reefkeeping or post questions on these boards before taking his/her advice."

This is just my opinion. Please don't take it as me being condescending, Charlie!!

Cameron;141869 wrote: How big of a pipe do you have running from your tank to the sump and how many of them? A single 1" drain gravity fed can only handle about 600gph. If you throw a 900gph even with headloss you could be looking at an overflow situation.
+1. And running it close to max means that as the tank ages and the overflow gets dirty, you'll be inviting a slower overflow.

Personally, I never put the return pump into the flow calculation. Unless you've got a custom tank with more overflows than normal, as Cameron pointed out, there's not enough flow to make much difference. That said, you've got 1800 gph which is adequate for fish and soft corals in a 110, though a bit more would be better. Nothing wrong with Koralia flow pumps. I'd just buy one or two more when you can.

The key is placement. You could have 3 Koralia model 4's and get crappy flow if you don't place them right. As I have little experience with larger tanks, I can't really say definitively what's best.

i have two 1 1/2 inch bulkheads and i will use both as drains in the overflow. i plan on ordering or building the durso type standpipes for noise reduction. is there anything wrong with using 2? i've also re-thought my return and plan on having just one return and not splitting it. i'll use more koralias as i can.

Dual overflows are nice redundancy and that is what I do. I pump around 400-500gph after head loss into my sump which is about 3x water volume. You really don't need to push more than 3x-5x water volume through the sump. More that that and you are generally wasting electricity and creating more noise from the water crashing into the sump.

Cameron;141957 wrote: Watch do you need to do, just plumbing?

will start a new thread, since I've hijacked Mr. Smokin' enough already (and sorry 'bout that)

Back