Am I running too cool?

snowmansnow

Market
Reaction score
So I feel like I'm straddling ok and too cool....

What do you think?

664c764c84587d5b4efc46a1b465f6ac.jpg
alt="" />

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the only reason i'm asking is because its the first time i've actually been able to maintain temps that low with only a 1degree swing at most

SnowManSnow;1051603 wrote: the only reason i'm asking is because its the first time i've actually been able to maintain temps that low with only a 1degree swing at most
It's probably because you have less water volume then before.

SnowManSnow;1051609 wrote: I think the biggest thing is using LED lights

Yeah, my ATI fixture adds a lot more heat to the tank than the LEDs did. Will have to plumb up a chiller next summer.

I think those temps straddle favoring the fish in the tank over the corals. Just depends on what your priorities are.

Seth The Wine Guy;1051933 wrote: I think those temps straddle favoring the fish in the tank over the corals. Just depends on what your priorities are.

I was thinking that too... I'm going to pull it up to 78

ive messed with temps between 74-80. havent noticed any detriment either way.

i keep it a solid 78 now though.

Russ-IV;1052105 wrote: ive messed with temps between 74-80. havent noticed any detriment either way.

i keep it a solid 78 now though.

A few corals, like my wellsi (avatar) have shown me their preference. This guy will triple + in size during mid day with 78ish temp. This has been observed for 3-4 years in misc set-ups.

I do agree that your tank mates/priorities is most likely the key to answering this question. As we know the fish and coral we house come from a vast variety of waters. Unfortunately we're unable to give each of them their ideal temperature especially in a mixed reef.
I'm convinced all my corals are happy and love me regardless :)

I've been setting at a pretty steady 78 since I started the thread. Corals seem to be happier

Back