Ammonia jumped up, what now?

bkostuch

Market
Reaction score
So I started seeing diatoms again and noticed that one of my anthias hasn't been seen in a few days. Ammonia has jumped up to 5 and nitrates are 0. I realize that my CUC could have cleaned up a dead fish somewhat quickly. Without ripping my rock down to search for the possible dead fish will the ammonia drop back to 0 after the decay and is there any risk of leaving the carcass if any left?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How big is the Anthia, gallon size of tank (120)?

Personally, I'd do a large water change if still high... add prime, do WC... If you can't see a big dead body!

It was about 2.5inches long at most. I'll do a WC and retest.

Yup have been at 0 ammonia/nitrates/nitrites for more than 3 months until this.

What test kit are you using?

One MIA fish in a 120 shouldn't cause a spike like that. I'd verify the result, especially if the MIA fish is the only visible (or not visible) concern.

If everything else is looking fine, I'd doubt that result.

If other stuff looks like it's suffering, that's another story.

I'd dose Prime or Alpha immediately as a precaution then double check that result against another kind of test, and take action on the result.

Jenn

It started heavy feeding a few days prior to the outbreak of diatoms and when I tested for ammonia. As of today its looks to be back in order I honestly dislike API kits, I usually go 2nd test @ the LFS and it shows my API is out of whack. I couldn't get up there this time. Did a 10% WC today and I will retest tomorrow :)

Thanks all for the input, its always greatly appreciated!

So i found my Torch was completely dead and so of course I pulled it out of the tank and MY GOD, the smell was enough to gag someone. I assume corals just as fish, as they die, can affect water quality. Correct? Might have been my reason for ammonia?

Back