And construction begins

cdub

Market
Reaction score
so i started building my sump room in my garage today. here are some pics of the process. hopefully i'll be finishing up the framing tomorrow.

it begins
my.php
>
img0153so0.th.jpg
alt="" /></a>

one wall done
my.php
>
img0154ct2.th.jpg
alt="" /></a>

two down, one to go tomorrow
img0157kc7.jpg
alt="" /></a>

PERFECT!

Don't forget the door. The rough opening for the door needs to be 2-1/2" wider then the door frame to allow for plumb and level.

The door will need to have a header,(2 x 6 will work in your application) 2 king studs and 2 jack (cripple) studs.

Also, just a recommendation....I would cut 2 x 4 blocks to put between each stud about mid way up off the finished floor.

Nice work.

i was thinking about bracing the studs as you mentioned. could you go into a little more detail about how to build the front wall with the door in it? that is one of the reasons i stopped b/c i was a little stumped.

Ok

Frame the wall just like you did the other two except the top plate will have the 3-1/2 overhang on both sides.

Decide where you want the door to be. If you already have the door and jamb, measure the width of the door.

Lets say you have a prehung unit that you bought at lowes or HD. A prehung unit will be the whole enchilada...door, jamb, casing. hinges etc.
These are normally called "split jambs" because you can take the door off and the jamb is two pieces for ease of installation.

Now lets say that the width of the door itself is 24". The opening you want to frame will be 26 - 1/2. This gives you room to play with the door since it will not fit snug.

Now measure the height of the door and add say 3/4" to that. The total of these two is the height where you want the bottom edge of your header.

Crap let me draw it out.....wait one.

thanks a lot for the drawing. i have to do a little baby shopping with the lady tomorrow, but hopefully i can finish up the framing.

thats a great idea to make a room in your garage, mainly for temp control i would imagine. Your wife must be cool.

Its his basement!:lol2:

Had you been paying attention you would have known that.

BTW Chris, PM your # so we can figure out when your coming to drink my beer.

Seedless Reefer;72384 wrote: Its his basement!:lol2:

Had you been paying attention you would have known that.

BTW Chris, PM your # so we can figure out when your coming to drink my beer.

Paying attention??

cdub;72243 wrote: so i started building my sump room in my <span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: darkred;">garage</span></span> today. here are some pics of the process. hopefully i'll be finishing up the framing tomorrow.

Okay, the real attention deficit reefer gets none of that beer. Your brain cells are already fried.

:)

and for to keep it cool i am taking my laundry room vent(which i had shut anyway to save money) and running it into this room so it will have ac. i also plan an running a drop from my outside hose waterline down from the attic into the room.

David, I thought you'd be sleeping.

Man, what kind of *supplements* are you on (and can I get some)????

:)

well she is cool and all to let me build it in the garage. however i think her main goal was to get all this out of the living/dining room....

img0158tv5.jpg
alt="" /></a>

My wife saw this and told me this would be on the back porch. lol Also I like the light stands.

That light stand is way cool did you have to order that special or where do you get something that fancy. LOL my wife would shoot me yours must be a very nice wife. I am sure she will enjoy the little room in the garage.

Good Luck

How do you guys get your SO/Wife to allow you to do this stuff? My wife likes my tank but she'd have a fit if I even attempted to take away a slot in the garage for my tank. Not to mention having lights hanging between ladders in our family room, even if it is only temporary.

Michael

I'm not even allowed to put things in the tank unless its where she wants it let alone change/move/anything to the tank. She's po'd with the fish and crabs because they won't stay where she wants them. The anonome has learned to stay put!

Back