And so it begins..125g tank setup

NanCrab

Supporting
Reaction score
Or shall I say "the saga continues"?
We now have everything we need to get started.
Picked up the new tank and stand today (thanks PTreef).
Now rearranging the furniture to accommodate the tank. Kind of a goofy looking furniture setup but we certainly can't afford new furniture!
Pictures of our living room rearrangement in progress and the new, aquarium dedicated circuit we had installed on Friday. Thanks to all who have answered my questions, given me suggestions and gone out of your way to help me replace my first mistake!
More to come!

Attachments

• 20200118_191319.jpg
    20200118_191319.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 46
  • 20200118_191254.jpg
    20200118_191254.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
  • 20200118_191220.jpg
    20200118_191220.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 49
So, even though you have a dedicated circuit, those GFCI plug in cords can give you extra added peace of mind when dealing with salt water. They are pretty inexpensive on amazon.

So, even though you have a dedicated circuit, those GFCI plug in cords can give you extra added peace of mind when dealing with salt water. They are pretty inexpensive on amazon.
It was $200 more for the electrician to install those and my husband is a handyman who installs them frequently. We decided to diy that part in addition to having the surge protecting power strips (the good ones). Thank you though! You are very observant!!

Is this what you are talking about?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200209-194121_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200209-194121_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    703.1 KB · Views: 27
Yes. However, caveat- when the power flickers they will require a manual reset by pressing the button as we recently experienced.
. So, if you are leaving for going out for extended period of time - would use something else maybe....

Too bad you are on the other side of the world : ) I have a spare 15A in-wall GFCI outlet I could give you. If your husband is a handyman, I'm sure he's able to swap it for the existing outlet, and then the GFCI cord wouldn't be necessary...

Too bad you are on the other side of the world : ) I have a spare 15A in-wall GFCI outlet I could give you. If your husband is a handyman, I'm sure he's able to swap it for the existing outlet, and then the GFCI cord wouldn't be necessary...
We have GFCI outlets already. There is a very high probability that I misunderstood @sheris100 but I thought she said the cords were better, idk. I’m easily confused

In my experience it is not a good idea to run more than one gfci in a circuit. I think more than one causes a lower tripping threshold so if you have a gfci breaker an inline interupter should not be used.

In my experience it is not a good idea to run more than one gfci in a circuit. I think more than one causes a lower tripping threshold so if you have a gfci breaker an inline interupter should not be used.
Thanks Steve! I re-read @sharis100's comment...she recommended it I think because my picture shows normal outlets. We swapped them out for GFCI outlets ourselves because it would have been an xtra $200 if the electrician had installed and that is crazy expensive compared to the price of buying them and DIY'ing the install. It's not rocket science after all lol.

Back