anemone. powerhead.

atlweb

Market
Reaction score
So I finally got my pair of mated onyx clowns and GBTA last night. The anemone stayed in the same spot all night on the opposite side of the tank as my power head, so I was not concerned about it....

Sure enough, in 4 hours... he managed to move about 2 and a half feet right into the middle of my mp10.

I woke up to a clouded tank and my anemone still stuck to the power head. I immediately did a 10% water change and sucked the anemone out of the tank.

I thought it was a goner until I saw that he still have his tips in tact... (he was just cut in half and dispelling white goo).

After leaving it out of the tank it started to regain itself... enough to where it is no longer dispelling anything and its bubble tips are out... its just cut in half from the power head. I just put him back in the tank since he appears semi-okay... just REALLY stressed (which is understandable.)

With that said... any advice on what to do? Should I do another 10% water change today to get out any remaining clouded water? Or should I let the tank settle down a bit after its crazy night?

The clowns appear to be fine so far, but I know anemones can release a lot of bad stuff into the water... should I be concerned?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

ps: I blame myself for not taking the time to put the foam cover on my vortech, I have just had really good luck in the past with anemones going no where near them.

Id continue to do some changes and run Carbon. Ive had this happen 3 times. SOrry about your luck. Just keep a Eye on the Nem

I agree, if there is still cloudiness do another water change until it is clear and carbon would be good thing to do as well. If you have a skimmer turn it up a little if it is not already going crazy, just make sure if it overflows it isn't going to go outside the tank. If the anemone has some mouth and foot it may recover.

I just performed another 10% gallon change and that seemed to help. The water is almost completely clear now. I have carbon filter pads, but my set up does not allow me to put them anywhere that would make it very effective. I just threw one in the overflow since that would maybe help a little, but it doesn't sit flush.

The anemone definitely still has its foot, it was just damaged by the vortech. It currently attached itself against the back wall, so I think it is a good sign. I am crossing my fingers... and putting the foam pad on now.

If you have a rock crevice in your tank I would suggest placing the anemone there. BTA's are a rock anemone and prefer to bury their foot into a rock for protection. Best of luck!

Back