anemone question

claudaluq

Reaction score
Ok. One of the anemones in my tank is acting weird.First, she is not extending like it use to do, then, today, she started to close and started showing like the "stomach". We pull it out and started to look a little better. ANY IDEAS????

what kind of light do you have on the tank, how long have you had it and what are your water parms testing at?

Hey Brandon if you remember is the one thaht we use to have in the middle of the tank

flourscents arent really the best type of lighting for these animals, IMO. I'ld say give it a few days and see how it does, it could just be the anemone discharging its internal fluids, which they tend to do every now and then.

Ok, ya... funny I remember exactly which one he is... No offense but he did not look too good when I was there and I remember thinking about him. The problem is most likely your lights. Too put your mond at ease, I bet he was a gonner before he even made it into your tank. Lets see if I can explain what I mean.. An anemone is not suppost to be "white".. "white" is not a color that anemones are when they are healthy. When an anemone turns white is is because of improper lighting (among a few other things) and they have expelled all their zooxanthellae (symbiotic algae). When that happends they can not make food for themselves and they die. Even if you feed them on their own, they still need the sugars produced by the symbiotic algae for survival. Anemones have a very high matabolizm and can take weeks or months to die but rest assured under your current set up, your BTA will die due to the lack of light.

At this point, you got a few options to try to save him but I must tell you, there most likely is not much you can do if he is completly white. If he is still attached, you need to moce that rock to the highest point in your tank and get him some light. You can try to feed SMALL (<1/4") pieces of raw shrimp when the anemone is not all sucked in like he is now. Of he is not attached it might be even better. You can get a strawberry (raspberry) "pint" container from the publix up the road and put him in there. Fasten that to the top of your tank. This way if he does go south (die), you can pull him fast. Since you got him close to the surface, give him a good smell, if he smells bad (rotten) then you need to flush him ASAP.

Best of luck and if you have any questions, call me.

we have it lose from the rock and in a little container closest to the lights. My daugther saids that it looks better. We are ready to smell it nad let u know

Also. What are the signs thaht she is so far away south?? We really like this guy and will try to do as much as posible to keep it alive.

is it still not feeding i have a bubble tip near the bottom of my 72 gallon and it is prety ok and all i have is 2 65w coralife pc's i think you need to see your params or go to the petland in duluth to get them checked out because now it just seems weird how it is not improving

claudaluq;55042 wrote: Also. What are the signs thaht she is so far away south?? We really like this guy and will try to do as much as posible to keep it alive.

Glad he is looking better... but he has a LONG road... He might have a chance if you can get him to attach to the top of your rocks but those of us how have kept Anemones know that they never stay where we want them to! ;)

If you plan of keeping a Anemone (other then the few low light ones) you really need to move away from PC lights. They just do not have the PAR needed to keep this light hog of a creature.

Nano_Reefer92;55073 wrote: is it still not feeding i have a bubble tip near the bottom of my 72 gallon and it is prety ok and all i have is 2 65w coralife pc's i think you need to see your params or go to the petland in duluth to get them checked out because now it just seems weird how it is not improving

Pretty OK is not "doing great!!!" and I bet you have not had him in there for very long. Again an Anemone will take a long time to show signs of death and when they do, it is usually too late. Anemones and Clams are bad about that... 2 65 Watt PCs should not be enough to support a BTA (or most Anemones). I am not going to say that you can't, stranger things have happened, but ask any "expert" and they will most likely tell you the same thing!

Back