Anemone question.

fuddruckers

Market
Reaction score
Just got a bag of chato from a member, and got it in the sump today, looking at it when my refugium light kicked on, it would appear that I got an Anemone in with it, and knowing that there are pest species I'm kinda worried if i just introduced a potential problem to my new tank, help with identification would be greatly appreciated.
1033181=61743-20150517_014307.jpg
>
1033181=61743-20150517_014307.jpg
class="gc-images" title="20150517_014307.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>
1033181=61744-20150517_013032.jpg
>
1033181=61744-20150517_013032.jpg
class="gc-images" title="20150517_013032.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:400px" /></a>

Looks like aiptasia to me! I'm on an iPad mini but that's my guess!
You can take it out but problem is there's probably a bunch more babies in it. Personally, I'd remove the Cheato too and ask them member about it or just toss it.
If your careful about your fish selection, aptasia is easy to get rid of with peppermint shrimp. Many reefers have fish that eat the shrimp, hence can't go that route...

Oyy, I was so excited for all the fauna in the chato, couple of star species and loaded with pods and other stuff I've never seen, but oh well, don't want to be dealing with pests right from the get go.

Sorry bout that. I have had aiptasia in my system before. I think I've pretty much eradicated them from my display but must've missed one in the sump.

IMO I would just remove it and the hunk of chaeto around it. If you are not VERY selective in your coral and live rock purchases I think it is inevitable that you will get aiptasia one day. It can be easy to control if you don't let it get out of hand. The home made formula that's floating around on this forum has worked better than any store bought product IME.

bsbrown82;1033326 wrote: Sorry bout that. I have had aiptasia in my system before. I think I've pretty much eradicated them from my display but must've missed one in the sump.

IMO I would just remove it and the hunk of chaeto around it. If you are not VERY selective in your coral and live rock purchases I think it is inevitable that you will get aiptasia one day. It can be easy to control if you don't let it get out of hand. The home made formula that's floating around on this forum has worked better than any store bought product IME.

+1. I have imported aptasia from some of the most experience reefers. Everybody has to fight it at some point. How you fight it is important.

As mentioned cut back a few inches around this on. Do it in a separate container of saltwater and try not to disturb it. When stressed, aptasia response is to expel spores that will spawn elsewhere. That is its survival mechanism. That's why you should do it in a separate bucket. Then rinse in another bucket before you put it back in your refugium.

Appreciate the imput guys, and and BSBROWN, it's all good, just my first tank that just got cycled, I've read the stories of the issues people have had with those, and being as new to the hobby as I am, I didn't want to get so frustrated with an outbreak, and end up getting out of the hobby before I really got into it.

Back