Anemone Question

tnyga

Market
Reaction score
I had a GBTA in the past that would deflate and "re"flate almost daily.

My new RBTA is doing the same thing so I didnt freak when I first saw it, He looks great, eating and the clowns love him. He is not "on the move", is this normal?

Thanks in advance

I had a seabe that did the same thing when I bought him almost daily. We found out that the stress from the LFS and the move to the tank was hard on him. It was not good but after a few months of babying him, he stopped doing it all the time. And things seemed normal.

My RBTA doesnt move often and is usually pretty consistent when it come to deflating and what not. Yours sounds fine and happy. Anemones need to release waste and deflating is part of that process from what I understand. The less they move the better..typically a moving anemone is not a happy anemone.

ty...im happy hes not moving...I never had a tank that the parameters are good...Nitrates at 5-10, no nitrites, ammonia, phosphates, 400 calcium, ph 8.3-8.4 tem, salinity 1.023-24

ITS SCARY LOL

It's normal as stated, but daily??? I'm not so sure about that. Does it close at night time or during the day? Do you happen to get shocked sometimes when you put your hand in the water? This may be a stretch but look at your other corals when you see the nem deflated and see if their polyps are out. If they are retracted too, you might have some stray voltage in the tank. but like I said, thats prolly not the case.

Glyx brings up a good point in his PM and mine is the same...The only time he's deflated is when my Halides are off and I have either moonlights or the actinics on...AND this isnt instantaneous its over time it happens...

Makes more sense??

yeah those details would have helped. Ok thats totaly normal imagine your nem is in sleep mode thats what they do.

They will close up if there isnt a hosting clown, and they will also close at times even with clowns hosting. This will subside over time tho once it's use to them being there. It is a regular process tho, I think its more for safety. The nem is open during the day for food/light. No light to provide food, they close up to conserve energy. I thought it was deflating during the day constantly. If that were the case, there might be something wrong.

Back