Anemone questions

lsu_fishfan

Market
Reaction score
I've had two long bubble tip anemones in my tank for about a year now, one green and one red. In the past month or so, both anemones have split and I think there might be one smaller one underneath one of the larger greens maybe equalling three!?! How would you guys go about trying to remove the anemones and if I can remove it, how should I keep it without it reattaching? Also, if I sell one, how should I bag it up, Ziplock with rubble? Thanks for any info.

I'm not a pro with this but have heard that you aim a power head at it and it should come loose.

mwbeach;1003366 wrote: I'm not a pro with this but have heard that you aim a power head at it and it should come loose.

I have heard of the powerhead method, but I heard it can take a long time and sometimes the anemone won't even come loose

They can be stubborn. Some times a power head directed right at the foot, sometimes hang them upside down, sometimes a cold spoon against the foot. As for bagging them, no need for rubble unless you want. Put them in a bag with tank water and they are good to go.

rdnelson99;1003375 wrote: They can be stubborn. Some times a power head directed right at the foot, sometimes hang them upside down, sometimes a cold spoon against the foot. As for bagging them, no need for rubble unless you want. Put them in a bag with tank water and they are good to go.

Thanks for the info

Once you get it detached its best to have a basket water can flow through to keep them in the tank or sump until sold.
You can purchase a cheap hatcher/netting basket for $5.00 on eBay that would work for a short period of time.

I use the upside down technique , hanging over a bucket . make sure the Anemone's tentacles are barely in the water . It will finally let go in 20 to 30 minutes in my experience. Whatever you do DON'T forcefully try and pull its foot from the rock. If you damage the foot in most cases they will die

reefstinger;1003419 wrote: I use the upside down technique , hanging over a bucket . make sure the Anemone's tentacles are barely in the water . It will finally let go in 20 to 30 minutes in my experience. Whatever you do DON'T forcefully try and pull its foot from the rock. If you damage the foot in most cases they will die

^^^ He's the Nem King! ^^^

reefstinger;1003419 wrote: I use the upside down technique , hanging over a bucket . make sure the Anemone's tentacles are barely in the water . It will finally let go in 20 to 30 minutes in my experience. Whatever you do DON'T forcefully try and pull its foot from the rock. If you damage the foot in most cases they will die

Is it safe for the nems to be out of water that long?

LSU_fishFan;1003439 wrote: Is it safe for the nems to be out of water that long?

Completely fine. But, as mentioned, the dangling tentacles need to be barely touching the water to encourage the new to let go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just massage the foot and as it starts to come loose I start to gently pull it from the rock. You have to be really carful and no pull the foot to hard. I've done this over 20 times and haven't ever had any problems.

I wouldn't recommend ice - you don't want to damage the tissue.

I've used the hanging upside down method more times than I can count. It can take hours sometimes, but eventually they will let go.

Jenn

JennM;1003595 wrote: I wouldn't recommend ice - you don't want to damage the tissue.

I've used the hanging upside down method more times than I can count. It can take hours sometimes, but eventually they will let go.

Jenn

The only problem I have with the upside down method is that they are attached to the same rock

i've gently pried the edge of the foot up with the tip of my fingernail and then you can gently pull the foot off (this assumes you can get to the foot, they like to bury in cracks). it's definitely a delicate maneuver but i've done it 10+ times and never had one die. I've seen the hanging thing work, but I couldn't get my LR out of the tank and I've had to move wanderer's a bunch of times.

The fingernail-peel-off method only works if the foot is on a fairly smooth surface. If the foot is buried in cracks/crannies you might get a bit off, but you'll still have to wait for it to let go, and the risk of tearing is greater.

A small tear here and there usually isn't a big deal but why risk it?

If they all come off the rock you can put some back in the tank...

Or you can just wait for them to decide to move on their own but that may or may not happen.

Jenn

JennM;1003609 wrote: The fingernail-peel-off method only works if the foot is on a fairly smooth surface. If the foot is buried in cracks/crannies you might get a bit off, but you'll still have to wait for it to let go, and the risk of tearing is greater.

A small tear here and there usually isn't a big deal but why risk it?

If they all come off the rock you can put some back in the tank...

Or you can just wait for them to decide to move on their own but that may or may not happen.

Jenn

From the way they look, they all look very happy with nice water flow and lighting.

Back