Anemone vs powerhead

hughes81

Reaction score
We bought a long tentacle anemone and everything was going great it's eating and has to clowns already hosting. My husband was home today and stepped out for 10 min came back to find it sucked up in the powerhead. It's out now and we have done a water change it seems to be doing ok all things considered. The question is.... How to I anemone safe my powerhead? I have some ideas form other forums but it's seems like I get honest advice from you guys. :)

Thanks

The best way to prevent them from getting blendered by powerheads is to us a sponge over the intake. I know MaxiJets and Vortech both has sponges you can buy. If you do use a sponge...it'll need to be cleaned often and will reduce the flow of the powerhead. Owning a nem is somewhat like gambling.

If it is a Vortech, they make foam sleeves to put around the intake side. Otherwise, you could place a sponge cutout around it. Neither of those options is good though, as most anything will drastically cut down on your PH's outflow.

Personally, I wouldn't do anything.

Someone (another site) had used a strawberry basket modifided to cover the intake. Thoughts?

I bought a small sheet of plastic needlepoint mesh from Micheal's and wrapped it around my powerheads and secured it with little black zip-ties.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
794291=39386-Algae_01302012.jpg
>
794291=39386-Algae_01302012.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Algae_01302012.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

porpoiseaquatics;794332 wrote: Another option is to use an old pair of pantyhose.

I used that a time or two. DSW has a great selection of "tester socks" (ankle high nylons) that work perfect on powerheads. :D

Back