Anemone?

showtime305

Supporting
Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea of what the PAR requirement are for the various host anemones available?

not really par specific, but it would be nice that they have at least a 70W halide in a 10-20g, a 150 in 10-30 or 175+ in a 30 and up tanks. These guys need a good bit of light, a good source of their nutrition comes from the lighting. You could also do T5's, I dont know exact bulb configurations with those so I cant help there.

I've found that a good diet is paramount when keeping anemones. I've kept and tripled the size of a BTA under a NO flo in a eclipse 3 in 12 months by the anemone moving up to the top of the tank and catching flakes daily. Light is very important, but so is feeding.

When my 8" BTA crawled through my overflow and was shredded, I knew he was a goner. 6 months later when working on my stand, I saw a 1" BTA inside my sump. I took apart my sump and found 6 more. They had lost all of their color but recovered from the shredding and lived by filter feeding for 6 months.

For feeding I don't reccomend anything larger than mysis, as they'll spit out what they don't digest in the middle of the night.

Dana Riddle said the chromoprotein clade thats in RBTA only needs like 100 PAR or something ( i dont remeber the exact number, I just remeber it was LOW!)

Wow. Thanks for the response guys. I'm thinking about setting up a 12 gallon aquapod with a 70w HQI for a couple clowns and an anemone. It sounds like my biggest issue will be water stability in such a small tank. I'll find a way to make it work.

is easier than you think. For awhile I had my main reef tank in that 15g. Just set up a top off and you're golden. And remember if its just an anemone in there, you wont need to dose for ca and alk ;)

Back