Anenome choice?

cr500_af

Market
Reaction score
My future plans involve adding an anenome to my tank, hopefully for my pair of Ocellaris to host. I've read until my eyes are crossed... it seems that the best candidate for a host based on behavior in the wild is a carpet anemone.

Two deal-breakers here- they get too big and they eat things I'm attached to.

I'd like to hear what has reasonable chance at success, while being hardy (for a 'nem), based on others' experience. Liking a home on rock is a plus, but sand is acceptable.

Thanks!

Why not some frogspawn or hammer? Won't eat stuff you like and the clowns don't know the difference.

My Ocellaris are very happy in my LTA. It is pretty big but it has sunk it's foot in to the sandbed and attached to the bottom of the tank. I don't think it will be wandering around. I have a Sebae in another tank with a pair of Fire Clowns and my Maroon Clown has been hosting my GBTA since 2 secs after I put them together. The latest addition for me, is a small LTA that I am hoping the skunk clowns adopt and begin hosting. I love carpets but I think they are a bit on the dangerous side.
Bob

Robb- Are there any differences in GBTA or RBTA, other than the color?
Bob- Another ARCer suggested a Long Tip/Tentacle (whichever it is), was just looking for a larger group opinion. I like the look of the BTAs from a pure appearance standpoint, but the LTA somehow looks "right" with clowns in it.
I thought about the hammer or frogspawn... saw a colony of hammer in the FS forum. I might go that route if I don't find a good deal on a 'nem.

LTA's are cool. I think percs and ocellaris seen to "find" them quicker. I also have a pair of ocellaris in my 70G that host my GSP. Of course, in that tank they can't turn around with out running in to some GSP! They spend the entire day "playing" in it. I put a flame bubble tip in with them but they ignored it in favor of the GSP. Dummies.

My preferences (in order)

:up::up::up: :up::up: - Flame BTA
:up: :up::up::up: - Rose BTA
:up: :up::up: - Green BTA
:up::up: - LTA
:up: - Seabae
:boo: - Carpet
:boo::boo: - Condi

check out some info here

a>

I would not go with the carpet unless you like feeding your fish to it and you are into pain. When I moved mine from one tank to the other it got me pretty bad. I still have the scar from it. The long ten. I really like the way they look but they do get big. The one I traded was about the size of a basket ball not counting the tentacles. So I would suggest either the BTA OR GBTA OR RBTA. But that is just me.

I didn't think LTAs got that big. I'm starting to lean toward bubble tips.

I was told they didn't but it did and that was less than a year old. So I hate to see how big it will really get. Since I may be getting him back.

cr500_af;326572 wrote: Any reason besides looks to choose them over LTA?

BTA's are the most bullet proof</em> of the large anemones in home aquaria. They are much more hardy than other species.

Dakota9;327090 wrote: BTA's are the most bullet proof</em> of the large anemones in home aquaria. They are much more hardy than other species.

Sold! I'm all about hardy.

Back