Anenome Noob Question

basscyn

Market
Reaction score
So...I got this anenome a couple of weeks ago from a member. It seems to be doing really well.We have hand fed it and my Tomato clown loves it! Too bad too...cus I am giving the "Tom" to another member. Anyway, it did not move far from where I originally placed it. But it does seem to have settled in to an area that it likes...only...I cant see it!

How do I move this thing? Just grab it? I assume it can slowly be pulled away from the rock it is attached to. But then what do I do with it? I want to start it on a rock in front of the tank. Will it adhere to what ever rock it comes in contact with?

Thanks!

nems will move to wherever they fell comfortable......i think to get it off the rock you can put a power head near it and it will detach itself but dont just pull at it (i dont think). but u can move it and no matter where u put it, it will move itself until it gets to a place it likes.....mine did that to it got to a place where i couldnt see it......the only thing i did was adjust the piece of LR it was attached to, i turned the rock so i could see it and then it moved to the back side of the rock again so i just left it alone.......i figure it liked the lighting and flow in that certain spot so that was its new home.

Ya, You have NO CONTROL of a nem. He is going to go where he wants to. You can try to move him but you run the risk of pissing him off or even worse, killing him. Do not just tug at him, there are a few tricks to get him to remove. 1) as said before, you can change the flow towards his foot. Be careful with this though, once a nem becomes detached, it is very easy for him to float into a powerhead and kill him. 2) you can try the ice cube trick. Plcae an icecube on his foot and he should start to move away from the cold. 3) if you can move the rock, pick the rock up out of the water to the point that his foot is out but the rest of him in upside down in the water, he should release. 4) For that matter, if you can move the rock, just try to move it to where you can see him and leave him attached.

Just be mindful that even though you might get him moved there is no guarantee that he will stay put. Evidently there is something in the spot he is in that he likes. They move around to ensure that they get everything they need (i.e. light and flow).

You can try all these tricks but he may move again to an area that you are not happy with, but as long as he is happy, what can ya do?

Yeah...he obviously likes this spot. Must have just the right flow and light he is looking for. I put him in the back of my tank initially for that very reason. I thought "If I was I nem...I would like it over in this corner". I guess I was right. I thought the chances of that were slim and he would surely move toward the front like I wanted. Kind of reverse <span style="font-family: Georgia;">psychology. No such luck.</span> He has only moved about a foot. I was just hoping I could find a spot in front of the tank that met his requirements. I mean...he hasnt even checked out the rest of the tank!

Ok...I wont grab him. I think I will try the ice trick first. Maybe he will ease over in the direction I want. Otherwise I may be able to relocate the rock he is on.

Thanks guys!

One thing to think about is different nems like different types of rockwork (and some are straight sand bed) so if he is a BTA then you need to provide him a rubble pile somewhere where you want him.

I hope you get him where you want him. Told you they liked to move around. Once he gets settled though he will not move as much. I would try just moving the rock he is attached to so that you can see him rather than trying to remove him from it. Glad he's doing great though. Post some pics when he gets settled. How's the regal doing?

Yeah mine found a spot he liked for about a week, then he moved to a new spot for about 2 weeks, they definatly go where they want, i'd just leave him alone

Well...I wish he would move around a bit. I would send you a pic of him, but I can just barely see it at all. For real...he is dug in good!

Regal is doing great. I thought I saw a little ick spot on him the other day. We got a really cool Fire Shrimp this weekend. He must have picked it of...cuz its gone.

Christy29;189853 wrote: I hope you get him where you want him. Told you they liked to move around. Once he gets settled though he will not move as much. I would try just moving the rock he is attached to so that you can see him rather than trying to remove him from it. Glad he's doing great though. Post some pics when he gets settled. How's the regal doing?

Back