angelfish

heathlindner25

Market
Reaction score
I have two angelfish in a 50 gallon tropical tank, they seem to be laying eggs on the back wall but then they eat them. my question is do I have a male and female? I guess more directly can a female lay eggs without a male?
thanks in advance

I don't know, but I have some brine shrimp eggs if you discover that your eggs are fertile and decide to raise the fry. I just read that infertile eggs will turn white. I also just read that it is rare for the females to lay without a male but it does happen, and the other female will eat the eggs. If it is a male and a female they should guard them. But, I don't know, I just googled it. Maybe someone who knows what they are talking about will chime in.

JDavid;889969 wrote: I don't know, but I have some brine shrimp eggs if you discover that your eggs are fertile and decide to raise the fry. I just read that infertile eggs will turn white. I also just read that it is rare for the females to lay without a male but it does happen, and the other female will eat the eggs. If it is a male and a female they should guard them. But, I don't know, I just googled it. Maybe someone who knows what they are talking about will chime in.

thanks for the info, hopefully someone will chime in with some hands-on experience

Yeah heath that is completely normal. They sometimes eat eggs that they know will not survive. You have a pair. I used to have a pair of angels too that ate their eggs when they first started breeding, but they soon learned that the eggs aren't food lol.

dhmx220;890068 wrote: Yeah heath that is completely normal. They sometimes eat eggs that they know will not survive. You have a pair. I used to have a pair of angels too that ate their eggs when they first started breeding, but they soon learned that the eggs aren't food lol.

Thankyou.

LMK if you want the BBS eggs I will swing by you can have them.

I had a pair of severums for 5 years that would constantly lay eggs. Every once in a while they would eat the eggs. It'll take them a few times to get it right. Mine would do it more if other fish started picking at the eggs.

Back