Another Anemone in the powerhed thread.

acroholic

Lifetime
Reaction score
Woke up this am and my protein skimmer's foam head was destroyed. Looked in the 20" cube I just set up and my new RBTA had wandered up the side and attached itself to my Koralia Nano....anyone ever seen how small the slits on the side of that thing are? Oh well, guess it doesn't matter when the foot is like moving jello.

Part of it's foot was pretty chopped up.

Tank(s) look OK and I rinsed out the filter sock and put the nem in a net hanger for it to heal. I think it will be ok.

I took most of the LR out of this little tank last night so I could see the nem better......guess he didn't like that!

So.........any suggestions for a foam cover for the Koralia Nano?
Dave

wrap something like a screen around it,like the kinda screen in your windows????
not expert advice in anyway,i have never tried anything like this,but i would THINK something like that would work??
best to get a second opinion on this one though!!

You can try nylon netting like you get when you buy a bag of onions or taters. Wrap the entire nano-K in a square of the netting then gather and secure it at the base with a stout rubber band or cable tie.

001a_lxt.jpg
alt="" />

It cut down the flo alil, but when almost the same thing happened to my anemone, this is what saved it......

I have a large piece of filter cloth which is the same stuff a filter sock is made of. I cut a piece of the cloth and wrapped it around the in-take when I first put the anemone in the tank. Sure enough, the anemone was on the powerhead just a few hours later ( Anemone Collectors in the ocean should just dive in with a power head wrapped around their neck........... Anemones would swarm around them.....)

Fortunately, because I'd wrapped the Koralia nano, all I had to do was turn it off and a few hours later, it had crawled into the rock pile where it has stayed for the past month, happy and healthy....

Well here is my solution for right now. I took a pre-filter sponge and trimmed it down. This covers all the water inlet slits on the side of the Koralia Nano (see pic).

BUT....do I need to be concerned about the RBTA trying to enter from the outlet side, meaning where water is coming out of?

And another pic of the poor victim. He lightened up a bit on me after his accident. Very pretty rose/pink color when healthy. It almost looks like the injured area may split off. Maybe I'll have a clone in a bit?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
321638=16095-CIMG3408.jpg
>
321638=16095-CIMG3408.jpg
class="gc-images" title="CIMG3408.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
321638=16094-CIMG3410.jpg
>
321638=16094-CIMG3410.jpg
class="gc-images" title="CIMG3410.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

I had one get in one of my vortechs on friday. Heard the power head grinding it down at 5am. That made for a long day...

Foam is the best solution. If there is any gap in any kind of mesh, they WILL find their way through.

glxtrix;321671 wrote: Foam is the best solution. If there is any gap in any kind of mesh, they WILL find their way through.

Lee,
Will it try to get into the outlet side of the Korlia? I would think the outflow would discourage that.

typically no. The force generally it too much and not desired by an anemone. As long as your inports are covered, you should be good :)

I bookmarked this site a few months ago and have posted it here in the past.

Good info here.

a>

Back