Another interesting PAR reading

derek_s

Market
Reaction score
So after reading the Par on my tank, I did some other additional readings that I thought were not specific to my tank and might be good info for someone:

First, I cleaned the salt spray off of the lamps and the reflectors. I saw little/no improvement on PAR. Very surprising to me.

Second, I tested the PAR of each lamp spectrum at 1" distance. I used teh centerbrace for consistent distances. Here is what I got (all lamps are ATI and approx 1 month old unless otherwise noted):
Front
Blue + :963 (came with a retro I bought, so time used is unknown)
Blue + :1291
Procolor : 860
Aquablue : 1060
Procolor : 850
Aquablue : 1050
Blue + : 1070
Blue + :850 (came with a retro I bought, so time used is unknown)

I was really surprised the procolors (red pink spectrum) do not outperfor the blue + (very blue) and aquablues (white-blue)

Yea, I had read on RC that the Blue+ and Aquablue were very high par bulbs. There was a SPS/Aussie tank that was running 4 of each in a 8 bulb config and it had really high par.

Has me wanting to drop one of my pro colors and just run 1.

Actually, I will right now...

That's very interesting. I'm surprised the salt spray made so little difference in the readings.

FutureInterest;269593 wrote: That's very interesting. I'm surprised the salt spray made so little difference in the readings.
Thats whats I was thinking... I figured it would have made a world of difference..

I was really surprised too. Now they werent really dirty. I clean them about every 3 months. But still, no extreme difference.

Well mine are DIRTY, I mean you could probably mix up a 50 gallon bucket of salt with all the spray on mine... Now that I have a larger surface area in the plumbed in frag tank and sump, I'm thinking of actually just covering the entire top of the tank with acrylic and cleaning it off regularly which is easier than cleaning reflectors/bulbs. It kinda seems moot though if the numbers aren't very different...

I guess I'll have to take some before and after readings as well :).

LMK when and I will come over and test it with teh pr meter. Then we can clean them and see what happens.

Derek, just remember to bring the PAR meter with us on Saturday.

James' tank. I'm gonna take it up to the Christmas party. I gotta talk to you about the plan on Saturday...

Back