Another lighting question

mockery

Market
Reaction score
Ok so it is that time that i need to switch out my MH bulb. Right now i have a 250 watt HQI with a 10k bulb. And i want a little change not so yellow. I know that i should stick to bulbs make in Germany. I'm thinking of a Ushio 14k but i don't know. So any opinions would be great.
Thanks
Colin

By far the Phoenix 14k has the best numbers are far as PAR is concerned.

Mockery;223688 wrote: Ok so it is that time that i need to switch out my MH bulb. Right now i have a 250 watt HQI with a 10k bulb. And <span style="color: red;">i want a little change</span> not so yellow. I know that i should stick to bulbs make in Germany. I'm thinking of a Ushio 14k but i don't know. So any opinions would be great.
Thanks
Colin

If you're only wanting a slight change in appearance, don't want too blue and want to maintain strong par, the USHIO/BLV 14k is the best bulb. Strong par and the colour is a nice white with a hint of blue. No yellow whatsoever.

If you are looking to go blue, then the phoenix 14k or xm 20k are good bulbs.

Honestly, I would go for hellolights.com, but reeftanklighting.com, which is also a sponsor is a good choice.

Well crap i need to change my PC's. And dawgdude would you happen to have a picture of the two bulbs?

Ok so i'm going to order this stuff tonight or tomorrow. But what is the different between 420nm and 460nm for antic pc's?

Ok so i bought the bulbs. I there something i should do to get my tank ready for the different bulb?

Acclimating new bulbs is always suggested. You can start out with a shorter photo period...something like 4-5 hrs the first few days...then work your way up an hr every couple days. Always worked well for me.

Now since i changed the Power compacts too should i acclimate those first then the MH or what

pc's really dont matter. Their power is nothing compared to the MH....though you could do it if you want.

Mockery;223933 wrote: Ok so i'm going to order this stuff tonight or tomorrow. But what is the different between 420nm and 460nm for antic pc's?

420 is more blue and 460 is more purple.

glxtrix;226927 wrote: Acclimating new bulbs is always suggested. You can start out with a shorter photo period...something like 4-5 hrs the first few days...then work your way up an hr every couple days. Always worked well for me.
Thats how I do it although last time I raised the fixture up then lowered it back down. Reducing the photo period is much easier though and I have had good results doing that.

johnr2604;226957 wrote: last time I raised the fixture up then lowered it back down.

Yup, another good way to do it, if you have the capabilities to do so :yes:

Ok so i love the way the 14k looks it has such color blue. Really makes the coral's pop!!

Back