another newbie question (live rock)

ls1boost

Market
Reaction score
hello everyone looking for a little info i have searched to web but still am unclear. I recived about 50-75 pounds of rock from a guy he said it was live rock and i came out of a tank he broke down a month or so ago but to me it looks more like base rock no color of live rock and he had it in water(which i thought was salt but it tested really low salinity) and he dident have a powerhead or heater in it i brought it home and put it in a bucket and adjusted the salinity and put a heater and a power head to circulate the water what elts do i need to do is the rock (dead) if so can i bring it back to life thanks for any info and help

Put the live rock in a high flow area (per instructions on a YouTube video I watched the other day). Another video suggested buying live rock and scraping the coraline into the tank, so that it spreads out to help speed up the seeding process. Add calcium.

ga_daisy;366033 wrote: Put the live rock in a high flow area (per instructions on a YouTube video I watched the other day). Another video suggested buying live rock and scraping the coraline into the tank, so that it spreads out to help speed up the seeding process. Add calcium.

This will (reportedly) help Coralline growth, but has really zero to do with rock being "live". It needs the bacteria colony to be present, which I suspect based on the OP's info is not the case.

It's probably mostly dead. Just add some truly live rock with it in the tank and give it some time to get colonized.

Soak and rinse it off. Use it as base rock and seed it with a few pieces of live rock

Before I did anything with that rock I would have someone who knows look at it to make sure he didn't sell you something he dug up from the back yard.

Seedless Reefer;366047 wrote: Before I did anything with that rock I would have someone who knows look at it to make sure he didn't sell you something he dug up from the back yard.
+1:eek:

Actually, all you need is time. The rock should have enough dead stuff on it to create a cycle. if it makes you feel better, by all means invest in another pound or two of cured live rock to seed bacteria and coraline, but you don't reaLLy need it.......

If you can, post a pic here and we'll be able to tell you if you got "hosed"! JK, we'll let you know if it's live or not. If it's really white..it's dead.

i dont have a way to post a pic at the moment but it is prety white if was free with the equipmet i bought so no big deal i have some live rock in a smaller setup i have i will just take a peicce of the rock to seed it thanks for the help guys,

Back