Another RODI question

seedless reefer

Market
Reaction score
I bought a used 6 stage from FlyAuburn before he moved.

I finally hooked up this weekend. He gave me a box of filters with the unit. I don't remeber how many GPD he said it was but I know it was alot like 250 GPD or something insane like that.

I emptied all of the water that was in the unit and changed all the filters. The box did not come with a new membrane. I calibrated my tds meter in some solution they gave me with the meter which was supposed to read 1380 mine read about 1364. I calibrated three times.

I then took a reading at the faucet and it read 105. I started the RODI and it too read 105 at the RO and at the drain.

I then flushed the membrane for about 2 hours and started the RO side again with a reading of 34.

So I guess what I'm wondering is if the membrane will allow a huge number like 250 GPD verses one that makes say 50 wouldn't the TDS read higher?

If not do I need to replace the membrane to get it to 0 or 1 ppm?

I have no way of knowing for sure the GPD or the manufacturer of the unit how would I go about ordering the correct membrane are they labled?

Check your RO gasket. Take the membrane out and put it back in tighter. The GE membrane always does that crap, it did the same on my unit and flows 500gpd.

Your saying water might be bypassing the membrane?

RO canister is making a funny whistling sound now that you mention it.

I only have a 4 filter with hold tank and i am getting like 6 on the meter, not bad for being 3 yrs old and i got it like a month ago and changed bottom three filters now reading 5-6. I would check the o-ring if that dosent fix it then it is the membrane itself.

chris

Ok I replaced the mebrane today. It is a smaller GPD membrane then what I took out.

TDS reads a best of 13.

What gives people? I need answers :confused2:

I was going to buy it from him but backed out because I knew his DI cartridge was exhausted. Go on ebay and buy some blue color changing DI refill.

You could have got a new 7 stage, triple DI RO/DI on ebay for $80 shipping included.

I bought a RO membrane from lowes, a very low flow one, and got a TDS of 7. Let the unit run a while and see what happens.

did you change the di and flying aburn has a taste crisper dont get water from there cause it will add traces to the water you have to get it from the di side did he give you the instructions with it cause that explains it all

Do you have a DI canister? If so, what's the resin look like? It's my understanding that the RO membrane only takes the tds down to about 10-15 ppm, the the DI resin does the rest. If the resin is exhausted, that could be the problem.

Again i know that ouling can speak on this we both just replaced our filters and mine read like 30 so i let run for about three hours then retested and now at like 4-5 i think it was just the build up of the bad water in the system ounce u let it run it will go down i know oulings whent down like from 167 to 7 after a couple of hours running.

Chris

I did install a new DI. The unit does indeed have a crisper and I bet you are right. If I take the reading on the last output before the taste filter I bet that would lower the number.

If the unit refuses to ever go to 0 what is an acceptable number?

5-7

There isn't much point of being at zero, and in the range of 5 is just as good. Some stuff in water is actually a good nutrient for corals, and all the water i've tested around GA have no nitrate or phosphate. The silicates would eventually turn into food for your clams and snails.

OK last test.......

I let the unit run all night and took a reading at the output of the taste criper it was 4.

I took a reading after the DI but before the crisper and it was 13.

4 is good to go?

it's good to go. I used 180ppm water, unfiltered in my reef tank for 3 months and everything is fine and dandy :)

ouling;62913 wrote: 5-7

There isn't much point of being at zero, and in the range of 5 is just as good. Some stuff in water is actually a good nutrient for corals, and all the water i've tested around GA have no nitrate or phosphate. The silicates would eventually turn into food for your clams and snails.

NO Phosphates???? The tap water in most of Atl has Very High Phosphates. they use a phosphate type buufers to buffer the water at the treatment facility. (at least last time i checked)

If the unit set unused for a period of time you likely have two issues to address - the membrane may have dried out, and may need to be replace. Sounds like you took care of this. Please check to make sure that your flow restictor is matched to the capcity of your new membrane.

What is your waste water to purified water ratio?

Sound like you have one of those mis-configured auction-site systems. Remove the GAC ("taste and odor") filter that is after the DI stage. The water is as clean as your system can make it after it leaves the DI. Placing GAC after the DI is counter-productive.

If you'll provide tds meter readings from 3 locations we can further troubleshoot the system:
1. Tap water (you reported this already at 105 ppm)
2. RO water
3. DI water

What is your water pressure?

[what is a criper?]

Russ @ BFS

Buckeye Field Supply;63556 wrote:
what is a "criper?"

He meant *crisper*

He suffers from chronic typocitis ~ unfortunately, there is no known cure.

(He's gone to work now ~ will answer your questions tonight. Thanks so much for your helpful advice.)

Back