Another "what is this?" question

mhandley92

Market
Reaction score
Hey guys,

This sunset monti was given to me today, and I just started acclimating it. I was curious what the white stuff on the coral was and if it was anything to worry about. Just trying to learn more! First pic is it underwater, second is it after using a pipette to blow off the white debris.

monti3.jpg
monti4.jpg

Um. It’s hard to tell. But that looks like it’s being eaten or stung by something. That’s tissue coming off the skeleton.

Well that doesn't sound good. I haven't added it to the tank yet
What’s it in?? Where did you get it from? Look at it under a magnifying glass. Any Monti eating Nudis will be the color of the flesh and hard to spot most likely.

What’s it in?? Where did you get it from? Look at it under a magnifying glass. Any Monti eating Nudis will be the color of the flesh and hard to spot most likely.
Actually Monti nudis are all white. Zoa nudis take on the color that they eat. I do believe, as I had them both before.

I don't have a Quarantine tank yet. This was given to me today, and was acclimating. Right now it's just in a bucket with the water it came in and water from my tank.

It sounds like I shouldn't add it? Will the monti nudis migrate to other corals and cause issues?

Actually Monti nudis are all white. Zoa nudis take on the color that they eat. I do believe, as I had them both before.

Ah. I thought the bottom left corner could be a nudi but I didn’t realize that Monti nudies were white. Good to know!!

Monti nudis, dip will stun them but leave the eggs, I wouldn't put it anywhere near your tank. Those things are brutal and best avoided if at all possible. I had them wipe out my display tank of all monti species 5 years ago and my heart still hasn't fully recovered. Get rid of that frag and if you're ever in or near Stone Mtn I'll give you a monti or two to make up for it. In the end, it's not worth the risk.

I mean. You can *try* to save it. But you can't kill eggs. And they'll hatch eventually.

I'm assuming I should get rid of the monti cap frag too? I didn't notice any of the big nudis, just what looked like white mold or something at first. I can't tell in the close up if those are the tree branch shaped things, or stuff around the polyps. I don't currently have any montis, but wouldn't want to add anything that seems like it may be bad

I would not keep it, they can be a real plague if you have and montiporas or digis.

Great to see this is posted, and that a few of y’all responded. I couldn’t positively ID anything (except for a lone common bristleworm).

He texted me, and I walked him through a few steps to take these photos. The first one showed all the white gunk in that crevice. He then used a pipette to blow away some of the gunk; that’s the second photo.

My analysis:
I didn’t see any Nudi’s nor eggs in the photo. These Nudis can be any shade from white to cream colored; so you’re all correct.

I suspect that a bunch of detritus collected in that crevice due to low flow. And that pile of gunk is what smothered and killed that portion of coral.

My recommendation:
Despite looking clear and good, I likewise informed him of the suspicion and requirement of always quarantining, especially if a suspicion exists, like in this case.

Anyways, those were my thoughts. I’m also interested in seeing what develops here.

I appreciate the help via texts! I don't have a method of quarantining it yet, and it sounds like the consensus is to not place it in the tank.

Thanks for the help guys

Back