Anthia fish question???

jc_k

Market
Reaction score
I just recently purchased a squareback anthia at creation reef and aquactics. Well as I was doing some research I was reading that when that male gets big it will sometimes bully the females. So I decided to purchase a male squareback anthia and no females. Now this thing is full size and is huge. I was wondering how long will it take it to adapt to the tank? I've had it for 2 full days now and he kinda just sits in this cave and every now and then he pokes his head out and quickly goes back into the cave. When I feed the tank he shows a little Intrest but seems to scared to come out. Should I try getting some females? Or is this normal? Thanks for reading,

Jacob

That's normal. Every fish is shy when it enters a home aquarium. It will eventually come around as time progresses. I would recommend getting 2 females as well, depending on if you have a large tank. Anthias can do fine alone but do even better in trios. All anthias fight when it is time to promote dominance. It is what they do to choose who will morph into the male. Just feed them and everything will be fine.

How do I know this?:

I kept other anthias in my old tank when I lived in MS including the one in my avatar.

MarquiseO;970556 wrote: That's normal. Every fish is shy when it enters a home aquarium. It will eventually come around as time progresses. I would recommend getting 2 females as well, depending on if you have a large tank. Anthias can do fine alone but do even better in trios. All anthias fight when it is time to promote dominance. It is what they do to choose who will morph into the male. Just feed them and everything will be fine.

How do I know this?:

I kept other anthias in my old tank when I lived in MS including the one in my avatar.

Ok! Thanks!

If you like those, you might like these anthias as well:

Randall's (M & F)
9969677434_6534f19c67_c.jpg
alt="" />
9969787633_0991b6f3a8_c.jpg
alt="" />

Sunset (M)
9969722236_486fe69df7_c.jpg
alt="" />
9969786153_77856fdf0e_c.jpg
alt="" />

Ventralis(M)
9969677754_bdf7beff9f_c.jpg
alt="" />

Also, vary their diet and they will take to you faster because they will be happier. I fed fish roe(eggs), mysis shrimp, cyclopeeze, and NLS pellets mixed together. They became pigs and less evasive in my presence.

I've just been feeding mysis, pellets, cyclopeze, and where do you buy fish roe? And also my foxface seems to be hanging around it? And also I really like all those anthias you posted. How big is the Ventralis get?
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
970575=55118-image.jpg
>
970575=55118-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

JC_k;970575 wrote: I've just been feeding mysis, pellets, cyclopeze, and where do you buy fish roe? And also my foxface seems to be hanging around it? And also I really like all those anthias you posted. How big is the Ventralis get?

You can get fish roe aka Capelin Roe at your local asian market. It is usually in a container like below but you have to rinse it very well to remove the seasoning.
capelin-roe_3412.jpg
alt="" />
I just put some in a mesh bag and ran water through it until it removed it all. I then stored it in the freezer
Or you can buy the pack of capelin fish and cut open the fish for the eggs with no rinsing needed:
5297450671_d19462591e.jpg
alt="" />
Both should give you enough frozen food for months. That alone can feed all your fish for no more than $9, if that much.

Your foxface may be the bully of your tank. Unless you see extreme bullying then it's fine to leave them alone. Once the squareback adjusts it will just be another fish in the tank to the foxface.

The ventralis gets to about 4in. It's a beautiful fish that takes time to obtain. I purchased that one from liveaquaria along with 2 females.

Hopefully they will all get along. And I'll have to try the fish eggs whne I get a chance to go out and buy them. Thanks for all the advice and info!

When I bought my square back he was very shy and flew behind the rocks for the first 4-5 days. Now he is the first one up to bat at feeding time. Just give him time and by the way they can jump a country mile if startled real fast.

I know... He nearly jumped out of the aclimating bucket. He came out with me sitting at the tank, I think he just saw the foxface and that made him come out of his hole even though he stand very close to it.

Back