Anthias Tattered Fins Help

derek_s

Market
Reaction score
I have a large male square anthias that eats well and seems to act normal, but his fins are all tattered and look pretty shabby. He is alone (no harem) and does not fight with any other fish. I am wondering what the problem is..

I have wondered about nutrition, but he eats well 3+ times a day and get plankton, mysis, spirulina brine, and ocassionaly squid usually enriched with garlic. I wonder if he needs any additional nutrients? Like omegas, vitamin c, etc?

My other wonder is that maybe having no females can causes some kind of stress that would deteriorate his fins?

Any input? He shows no signs of injury, and has had his tattered fins for maybe a month or more.

might be worth a try to get him a mate and see if that perks him up -- if you have room in your system

Yeah, LA just got in a shipment of females for $30 a piece. That kinda prompted me to post this, so I could have you guys justify me buying about 3-4 of them.

The females just look so much like the female lyretails, and I have 5 of them... I wish they were significantly differnt. My tank really needs some purple and yellow colored fish in it, but I dont want a YT and evansi and tuka anthias are real toughies.

Haha. I want some queens but they are hard to find. Only local store that I see them in is MF, and they are never eating. I emiled Live Aquaria and they dont even carry them.

Tuka'a are hard to keep, but beautiful if you can.

Sounds like he might be getting beat down by something...

He is about the biggest fish, but I never see him fight or get beat on. Everyone is pretty peaceful. Surely I would've noticed any hate crimes occuring in my tank.

grouper therapy;249168 wrote: Hi Chris
The dirty deed may be taking place at night??

Yeah, maybe. Like other anthias, he sleeps in a dark cave/hole, and the only other fish I have that might be big and mean enough to do it is the Achilles, and he stays out all night. Unless it is a crab or something, but I couldnt imagine them shredding fins.

Thanks Barb, I will call them. I have only been there once, but it was pretty nice.

Back