Anthias

thaveteran

Reaction score
I'll be passing through Atlanta on Saturday and I'm interested in adding a few anthias to my tank. Any suggestions on which ones and where to go?

FYI - I have a two female lyretails in qt and will definitely be looking for a Fiji male.

Fiji males are VERY hard to find. Only place Ive seen them in the past 7 years was at the fish store last month and I got 2.

Other good hardy anthias are bartletts, square backs and fat head(starburst)

Most places around will have lyretails and bartletts. Some will have fat heads and square backs.

Disbars are hit and miss depending of if they are eating.

Stay away from tuka's aka purple queen's

I've been considering barletts, I'm not sure anyone will have fish this weekend due to the holidays. Any suggestions on where to stop in?

I don't believe so, I've seen tanks with several different kinds of anthias. I'm looking to get about 3 or 4 different pairs or groups.

Really!! I've been told differently by 2 stores that are both sponsors.

My case may be different IDK, I had a pair and one died. I've been tiring to get two more and neither store had the same kind and told me not to get a different kind, they could kill each other....

Camellia;1003968 wrote: I thought you were suppose to keep a group of the "same" species or they fight?

I believe this to be correct in the case of lyrtails. They are one of the more aggressive anthia. If I were you they would be the last of the anthias to add.

Camellia;1003977 wrote: Really!! I've been told differently by 2 stores that are both sponsors.

who told you that? I have 7 lyretails, 6 bartletts and 2 square backs. The only fighting they do is scuffles between males of the same species over who is prettier, and chasing the females around.

and Ill be getting another square back and some fat heads too. Granted I have a 300g but species mixing is fine. Just remember they grow larger then youd think.

EnderG60;1003997 wrote: who told you that? I have 7 lyretails, 6 bartletts and 2 square backs. The only fighting they do is scuffles between males of the same species over who is prettier, and chasing the females around.

and Ill be getting another square back and some fat heads too. Granted I have a 300g but species mixing is fine. Just remember they grow larger then youd think.

I already stated who told me (as much as needed). It wasn't new employees either! Mine is a lyrtail so...
Very confused, guess I do my own research!

EnderG60;1003997 wrote: The only fighting they do is scuffles between males of the same species over who is prettier, and chasing the females around.

You need to stay out of those bars. :)

Ill just say this. I have never in my 20 years in this hobby or in my 4 years working in the retail side have I ever heard of or read about a lyretail attacking anything.

All anthias chase the females and scuffle with other males of the same species but they never do damage. I have heard of bartletts in small groups(2 or 3) having the male chase a female so much it stopped eating and died but thats it.

The only aggression Ive ever seen in an anthias toward a different species was when introducing a new fish to the tank, but all fish do that.

EnderG60;1004023 wrote: Ill just say this. I have never in my 20 years in this hobby or in my 4 years working in the retail side have I ever heard of or read about a lyretail attacking anything.

All anthias chase the females and scuffle with other males of the same species but they never do damage. I have heard of bartletts in small groups(2 or 3) having the male chase a female so much it stopped eating and died but thats it.

The only aggression Ive ever seen in an anthias toward a different species was when introducing a new fish to the tank, but all fish do that.

I personally had two lyrtails attack another anthia so badly it had yo be pulled from the DT

The stores I'm most familiar with are SEA, Pure Reef, and Atlanta Aquarium. I'd call ahead to them and any others that are listed in the sponsors forum to see if they have any in stock.

Back