Any ARC members running the Triton Method?

oldedb

Market
Reaction score
I am going to take the plunge this week and switch from BRS 2 part to Triton. Was wondering if anyone else in the area is on Triton. Would like to have someone local to compare notes with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like an awesome method of reef keeping , but the price of the testing keeps me away.

Triton has done a great job getting my curiosity. However, I'm going to wait a while and watch the outcome of other hobbiests to draw a conclusion.

I dont think a lot of people are doing it... I will do my best to post a log (I assume build thread is best place to start). By nature I am not a very detailed person and I am pretty busy with work and family life but much like others I am curious and going to take the plunge.

ghbrewer;1028470 wrote: I think that each test costs around $50.
Yea , from what I have gathered , each test runs about 50 bucks and they recommend testing once a week until you get your levels right:wow2:

mattgee87;1028475 wrote: Yea , from what I have gathered , each test runs about 50 bucks and they recommend testing once a week until you get your levels right:wow2:

Lots of conflicting info out there but I have read that they recommend an initial test, then a test after you have made the recommended adjustments, and then maintenence tests a few times a year. In between tests they advise that it is most important to monitor alkalinity. Assuming you are following the Triton method... If Alk is locked in then so is everything else (so they say).

I have read numerous cost comparison threads... My gut is that it is probably more expensive but when you look at a true apples to apples comp... It's not as much of an increase as people think. Maybe I go broke... I learned a long time ago that if needed, I can justify any expense in this hobby.

Greg Leonard does it and has been impressed from what he told me.
I am curious as well and might make the leap lol!

maybe Im missing something but how does this differ from using a dosing pump and testing and adjusting the dosing rate?

Expensive water testing company recommends you test your water several times a year using their expensive test service? Consider my mind blown. ;)

All snarking aside, I think this is a great option for establishing a baseline prior to implementing a dosing regimen or rooting out the cause when something unexplained happens and you suddenly find you can't seem to keep "x" alive - the service's battery of tests IS far more exhaustive than anything we're going to run ourselves or have access to at a local store. Consider how much money in lost livestock, test kits and additives one of us typically goes through during a tank downturn it's not THAT unreasonable.

Or if you have a larger tank and/or a significant investment in boutique/rare corals - a thrice yearly $50 charge is probably a rounding error at that point.

EnderG60;1028493 wrote: maybe Im missing something but how does this differ from using a dosing pump and testing and adjusting the dosing rate?

One big difference is that all trace elements are supposed to be included in their 4 part Elements. Additionally there are no water changes once you lock the dosing in.

oldedb;1028507 wrote: One big difference is that all trace elements are supposed to be included in their 4 part Elements. Additionally there are no water changes once you lock the dosing in.

Hmm so no nitrate export via water changes? Wonder how they compensate for that

oldedb;1028507 wrote: One big difference is that all trace elements are supposed to be included in their 4 part Elements. Additionally there are no water changes once you lock the dosing in.

For the cost of one test I can do a 200g water change..... na Ill keep doing what Im doing.

Nickh06;1028508 wrote: Hmm so no nitrate export via water changes? Wonder how they compensate for that

My guess would be one of the dosing regimens involves some sort of carbon dosing. There are bacteria strains that will reduce nitrate levels by converting into N2 gas, and the triton method must involve building up those bacteria levels.

There is no carbon source in the triton method. A refugium of 15-20% of the tanks water volume is the major nitrate absorber. It will also handle some of the phosphates and if it doesn't handle it, phosphate media whether it's gfo or aluminum based is used in a alternating fashion.

The method is all about stability. That's why no water changes and no carbon sources other then GAC.

I started a log in the member tanks area if anyone is interested in following

Back