Any Chiller recommendations?

petrasb

Market
Reaction score
My total system is 300gal. I was thinking it would be more efficient to to a drop in chiller. I do plan on upgrading my tank within a year, so I hate to buy somthing that will be too small later on. Is there any pros to an inline over a drop in?

Chiller for that sized tank. I would probably just buy one of the best out there unless I ran up on a sweet used deal. The difference is likely a couple hundred bucks but when you are already up there in price might as well not stop.

What is your lighting? Is all of your equipment in air conditioned space?

I have 210 display with a total water volume of about 500 gallons. I have 3 250W HQI MH over the display. The other tanks are either on a reverse lighting cycle or have T5 lighting so they don't have a big impact on heat. In the summer, I put the chiller outside to remove the tanks heat from the house completely, otherwise all the heat the chiller takes out of the tank and puts in the inside air, your house AC needs to again take outside. In my mind, putting the chiller outside makes it 2X efficient as other setups.

I bought a 1/2 HP chiller originally but it needed to run continuously to keep my system cool. I exchanged it for a very high efficientcy 1HP chiller from Prime USA. At peak periods, it runs about 20 minutes out of every hour. The key for me was that this particular 1HP chiller draws only 7.5 AMPS. The 1/2 HP chiller it replaced drew almost 6 AMPS. So I am getting twice the cooling capacity for lamost the same electrical consumption. Just a quick check of chillers and you will see that some 1/4 and 1/3 HP chillers draw MORE power than my 1 HP unit. It costs a bit more up front but you will reap electricity savings over the entire life of the chiller.

A quick comparison of some chillers (prices all from the same online store, better prices on each can be found):

Current USA 1/3 HP Drop in - 7.41A/115V $766
Current USA 1/2 HP comercial - 6.0A/115V $1020
Current USA 1 HP comercial - 9.1A/115 $1362
Pacific Coast 1/2HP - 9.9A/115 $1020
Pacific Coast 1HP - 18A/115 $1400

You can check out Current USA http://www.current-usa.com/">http://www.current-usa.com/</a>

The initial cost of the chiller is minor to the on-going operating cost. I will estimate that my chiller runs 3 hour per day on average. This equals 36000 BTU of cooling per day. The anual cost of running the various chillers above assuming $.1 per KWH would be:

Current USA 1/3 HP Drop in - 9 hours - $279.93
Current USA 1/2 HP comercial - 6 hours - $151.11
Current USA 1 HP comercial - 3 hours - $118.49 per year
Pacific Coast 1/2HP - 6 hours - $249.33
Pacific Coast 1HP - 3 hours - $226.67

If I ran the math correctly, an efficient chiller saves me $100-150 per year in electricity. Of couse, this savings can be offset by getting a used chiller at a fire sale price. If you are buying new, it is smart to pay a little more (or in the case above, a little less) for a more efficient chiller.

Schwagg great post.

Petrasb, I have a old 1/2 HP Sea Clear/CASCO commercial chiller, I'll sell it for $150. You will need a controller for it. If you or anyone wants it let me Know PM me.

Thanks Roland, I gave this topic lots of thought before dropping the $$$ on a chiller.

That is a GREAT deal for a 1/2HP chiller no matter how efficient it is!

Do not buy pacific coast imports, I had to send it in for warranty work and it was not pretty, just after 5 months. I am looking to buy a different one next summer.

Petrasb, sorry to highjack your thread, i should not have offered the chiller like this.

I allready got 3 people intrested. Next time ill just put it in the for sale forum.

SuAsati;119847 wrote: Do not buy pacific coast imports, I had to send it in for warranty work and it was not pretty, just after 5 months. I am looking to buy a different one next summer.

As an opposite point of view, I've had good luck with my Pacific Coat chiller over the past 2-3 years, especially for the cost - probably half as much as any other brand. I haven't had to deal with customer service, though...

One note- Joe Pierce is selling a custom 3/4hp chiller for $600 -
showthread.php

mojo;119862 wrote: As an opposite point of view, I've had good luck with my Pacific Coat chiller over the past 2-3 years, especially for the cost - probably half as much as any other brand. I haven't had to deal with customer service, though...

One note- Joe Pierce is selling a custom 3/4hp chiller for $600 - http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10559">see this thread</a>.[/QUOTE]

I've also had good luck with my Pacific Coast Chiller. Sorry you had a bad experience Susati

mojo;119862 wrote: As an opposite point of view, I've had good luck with my Pacific Coat chiller over the past 2-3 years, especially for the cost - probably half as much as any other brand. I haven't had to deal with customer service, though...

Be glad you didn't have to deal with those morons for warranty claim.

I have a 220 gal tank with a 75 gal sump........Here's the kicker, 1750 watts of MH lighting. My Current 1/2 HP chiller cycles on and off as normal... Iam happy with the performance...

Like I said Be glad...

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-49079.html">http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-49079.html</a>

I'd like a better treatment from a company that sent out a load of crap for over a grand than get rude and condecending response back. My only luck is it is not summer.... I wouldn't give that company any of my business and Would try every which way to discourage others from it as well....

Sounds like they made it right in the end, but I agree that first support response was awful.

Back