Any experience with xmas tree rock

twinytwin

Market
Reaction score
I just recieved my order from live aquaria and ordered a yellow fiji leather. The yellow fiji was attached to a xmas tree rock so i got a nice freebee. Anyone have experience with this. I looked it up on live aquaria for info but if any one has any further knowledge i would appreciate it. It said it didnt lke the bright light but when the yellow fiji is fully out it gives it some shade. right now it is at the top of the tank with dual 150watt mh. should i move it lower or will it be fine where its at.

I would move it lower... Top of the tank with 150W halides might be too much for the leather too. I would go atleast 1/2 of the way down the tank with him.

Unlike most leathers... yellow fiji leathers need strong light and strong flow to be happy. They're the hardest leather to keep because of those needs and are also very poor shippers. I keep mine near the top of my reef and my sandbed gets ~400 par.

Bah I forgot to address the x-mas tree rock.

Here's a great article:
a>

I have a Porities Coral with X-mas worms(Christmas Rock) and its does fine in moderate flow with low light. I have it at the bottom of my 160 Cube, 400W 10K at about 30" from the light. It's growing quickly in my conditions. Good luck!

The worms are obligate filter feeders, and they must get an adequate diet to survive and thrive. The Porites is more a photosynthetic animal, but the worms do not need or use light at all. How established is your tank? How iften to you feed (eitehr your fish or corals)? I have had a christmas tree rock for about a year, but i have a heavily infested fuge, I feed like crazy, and dont have any fish that would pester them. I would not classify them as easy to keep, but certainly not difficult either.

I have 90 gal that has been set up for 3 months. I had moved from a 3year old 55gal to the 90. The 90 has 2 150 watt mh 20k with 2 96 watt actinics and a 20 gal sump/refuge with no protien skimmer. I have a mag 12 as my return and 2 penguin 1140 powerheads rated at 300gph. I feed my fish every other day and i feed my coral every other day as well. I mix up my coral food everytime i feed so every feeding they are getting something different. I have been a little lazy on my water changes with work and all but i usually do 15%-20% every week and at the end of the month do a 40%-50%. so with the two pieces of coral attached to each other one liking moderate to high lighting and the other liking low light where should i put these two. the xmass tree gets cover from the fiji when fully expanded.

Back