Any ideas on a DIY fishguard for BC 14?

tony_caliente

Market
Reaction score
I guess I shoudl just shoot the lock off my wallet and buy the one sold online for $14.95. It's the thought of spending $9.95 on shipping that bothers me (70% of the cost of the item) and i cn't find anything else that I need from the site). I am using mine for a FW tank. I lost 2 neons already - but a life is life. If no ideas are forthcoming, I will just get the one online, unless a LFS stocks it. Thanks for reading!

i bought (and sold) a 14g bc on here and the member i bought it from made one of the mesh tops for it. looked simple enough, only challenge is curving a piece for the front

Why not just use some gutter guard from a hardware store? Or buy a sheet of egg crate and cut one out of that. Also you could post a wtb thread on nano reef, I see tons coming and going on there.

Tony, let me know if you want a piece of white gutter guard. i had to make one for my daughter's 14 bio.

I just went to Lowes the other day and bought the egg crate plastic...It is in the drop down ceiling tile dept. 12 bucks gets a piece like 2 ft by 4 ft. Lay it on top of the tank and take a sharpie marker and trace the shape directly onto the egg crate. Then a pair of wire cutter type pliers will snip through the plastic and BANG top done.

I may even put some nylon mesh over it. I left 2 full rolls of gutter guard (brand new) in NY when I moved 5 years ago. I should have known it would come in handy. Thanks for the offer and ideas!

yomidr19;767327 wrote: Tony, let me know if you want a piece of white gutter guard. i had to make one for my daughter's 14 bio.

Edit: By the way this isn't for a lid. It's to prevent fish from falling into the filter and pump chamber when swimming near the top rear. It will sit vertically extending the height of the back wall.

I just made about 4 diffrent size screens and they are great. I went to Home D and bought screen metal frame cut to size added the corners and bought some clear screen It's 1/2 in. netting from BRS and the rubber tube that rolls in and it holds fish in and also let more light in that the Wht plastic egg crate
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
768474=37426-2012-05-24_15-04-04_995.jpgNew Clear net screens 1.jpg
>
768474=37426-2012-05-24_15-04-04_995.jpgNew Clear net screens 1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="2012-05-24_15-04-04_995.jpgNew Clear net screens 1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

not sure what they are called but i used a section of plastic filler panel from some old glass tops i had laying around, the channel on it clips onto the back wall perfectly.

Tony, do you have to raise your overflow? I came across some plastic material that looks kinda like floor moldings and is thin enough that you can dremel or punch some holes out to let the water flow through while keeping larger objects out. It has a channel along the back to hang or glue onto anything around 1/2 inch thick. I have a bunch of it I can sell you.

Back